Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: thyroid,osteoporosis and another question  (Read 3916 times)

Alib123

thyroid,osteoporosis and another question
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:45:37 AM »

Hi all, just after some advice really.
I have an underactive thyroid and take 125mg thyroxine a day blood test are always fine, but is the peri menopause going to affect it? just asking as my sleep pattern is shot to bits at the moment constant waking up,although it doesnt help that i work 3 nights a week but its worse than ever.

Another question is my mum has osteoporosis and has always had soft bones, she once tripped and broke her wrist in 3 places  :-\ so is there anything anyone wan recommend to take to help my bones ? its just all a bit confusing to me and my doc wasnt much help.

one last question,  for a yr ive had trouble with my coccyx, as in pain when i stand from sitting ect, ive had one steriod injection and have been referred back to the clinic for probably another is this something that happens to lots of people or is it just something random thats come along at the same time?

I intend to buy some starflower oil, but they only have massive tubs when i go to town so im waiting to be able to get a smaller pot just incase they dont make a difference to me. 

tahnks Ali :)

Sarah2

Re: thyroid,osteoporosis and another question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »

Can't help with the thyroid question but can help with osteoporosis.

How old was your mum when she broke her wrist and was she diagnosed with osteoporosis? (This is brittle bones, not soft bones by the way.)

If she was young ( ie not elderly) then you are at risk of having inherited the predisposition to osteoporosis.
Your dr ought to refer you for a DEXA scan due to your family history. If they refuse, you can pay for this X ray privately though you shouldn't have to with your family history.

I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my late 40s- my hips were almost 'full osteoporosis'. I decided to try to improve my bones with exercise and diet -  this worked but it takes years- they only do a bone density scan every 2-3 years because the changes are slow.

I'd recommend the National Osteoporosis Society website- lots of information and a helpline too.

Re. your coccyx- this can be down to posture and in some cases you need manipulation to put the coccyx back in the right position. I used to have a very sore coccyx and found it improved a lot by walking briskly - maybe a coincidence, but worth thinking about.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »

Hi Alib123

Sorry to hear about your painful coccyx.

You haven't said how old you are but that you are peri - but not sure where?

As Sarah2 says there could be a genetic link so I would be doing everything I could to help prevent it - and this would include taking HRT when the time comes, as well as making sure your diet includes plenty of calcium rich foods, and taking regualr weight-bearing exercise.

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »

Albi I suffered with coccyx pain for years getting up from a sitting position and getting out of cars was a problem, I had  Xray and tests and the

physio didn't make the slightest difference, this was about six years ago then suddenly it went. I use to visit this site

http://www.coccyx.org/

About 18months ago I started to suffer with sacro iliac joint pain don't know if there was a connection, but now that has gone and now I just have the common or garden back twinges when I do some bending down.

There is hope.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

I used to be an advisor for a thyroid advice charity.  Make sure you have your thyroid tested every 6 months no matter what your Dr says ::) as any time of hormonal upheaval can make your thyroid go haywire.  I am now post meno but for 3 years during the run up to this my thyroid was constantly changing and i had to change my med dose up and down all the time. I ended up on 3 monthly tests but past three tests have been stable. Long may it last!