Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Acupunture  (Read 5668 times)

emma123

Acupunture
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »

Hello. 
I'm suffering with horrendous perimenopause symptoms and have been given qlaira a hrt type of contraceptive pill which 3 weeks in don't seem to be making much difference. I'm considering having accupuncture and was wondering if anyone had any experience of the treatment and effects on the symptoms??
Thanks in advance
Emma x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Acupunture
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »

Acupuncture may work.  But you need to give your current medication at least 3 months before you notice any difference. 

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

Can I ask why your GP gave you this instead of HRT ?

You may well find acupuncture helpful but really the only thing that helps is HRT.
Some ladies choose to go down the alternative route and there are details in the green menu on the left.

Honeyb
x

Galadriel

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

Hi emma123,

I'm doing both  :)

I've been on HRT since July 13 (prempak-c). I started having regular acupuncture around Christmas. I changed my HRT last month to Climagest and so far so good.

I find the acupuncture helps with anxiety/stress, and achy joints. I've only just started having more needles in for insomnia so I can't comment just yet, other than I do look like a human pincushion  ;D

In the meantime, definitely give your medication time to work. If you do decide to have acupuncture as well, enjoy the experience. I do. I just lie there and let it all happen. It's probably the most relaxing time of the week for me :)

Galadriel x

emma123

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »

Hi honey b
Goodness only knows why. I think it's something to do with me still having regular but lighter periods. I'm just hoping and praying it works at some point quick!!  I am thinking I'd be better off on hrt

Emma x

emma123

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »

Hi galadriel

I'm certainly open to anything that helps. Stress,  anxiety and depression are my main symptoms. I'm probably expecting too much from the medication too quick. But I'm sick of feeling crap, and I'm only perimenopausal!! The rest is yet to come. Thanks for your reply
Emma x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »

I have been reasonably well after peri-menopause  ;)

emma123

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »

So was you worse in perimenopause?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »

Sudden drop in blood sugar so that I would feel really really very sick.  But once the periods came, went, came ….. then stopped I began to feel 'better'.  Anxiety was already a problem helped with various medications. 

emma123

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

That would of been better for you then. Anxiety, stress and depression are my main problems. I've tried 2 lots of ads but 1 lost sex drive and other put tons of weight on. What mess helped you?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »

Meds.? low maintenance anti-depressant medication for Life as well as 40mg beta-blocka, both taken at night with Actimel.  Plus an emergency anti-anxiety pill for short-term use.

emma123

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

Yes meds sorry! I was on beta blockers and mirtrozapine an antidepressant, and my gp said they were clashing against each other as I was still feeling down and no better. That's when he thought Qlaira might work. It's a blooming mine field haha

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »

I haven't found the meds clash.  But people are different aren't they so sometimes meds don't mix.  I take BBs for anxiety and was on ADs long before ………. Mirtrozapine has been talked about on here, if you do a search  ;)

emma123

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »

I'll have a look thank you

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »

I am on my seventh week of accunpucture the lady I see only does womens issues, I am going for pain and anxiety, the first week I went I was exhausted from the pain I had been in, when she put the last needle in me which is in the ear, I almost passed out on the bed, that needle is for the for adrenaline, this was not placebo as a it had no idea, also after the first five weeks of treatment I would yawn for thirty minutes almost continually, again this is all to do with adrenaline.

Also I have a arthritic big toe that I have not been able to bend for ten years, after week three of treatment I could feel my joints felt lighter, I thought nothing of it, the next evening I could bend my big toe and can still do so, again this was not even on my radar as a problem as I have far bigger problems than my big toe.

I do think it helps with pain, it relaxes me which in turn helps my anxiety, I did not yawn last week so wonder if I have got as much as I am going to get from it, I have two more weeks left I definately feel by Tuesday I want Thursday to come round quickly.

I start reflexology in a week, give that a go next.