Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Too much progesterone?q  (Read 3688 times)

Spangles

Too much progesterone?q
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:44:36 AM »

Hi ladies, I recently posted about long cycle hrt. My question now is can too much progesterone actually cause hot flushes? I know it's supposed to minimise them, but having used oestrogen only for 11 weeks, I started to add 5mg of norethisterone 9 days ago and I have had a few flushes. Is this normal and has anyone else experience it?
Thanks
Shellb

Sarah2

Re: Too much progesterone?q
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »

Progesterone can raise the body temperature- in pre meno women the body temp rises after ovulation and stays slightly higher due to progesterone. I'd give it time to see how you go. If it's just a few flushes once every 3 months then that's pretty good going! Must be better than how you were before?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:50:02 AM by Sarah2 »

Dinnie

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »

Hi Shellb
This sort of happened to me. I was on Elleste duet 1mg. When I took the white tabs (oestrogen ) I was fine then when I took the green tabs(progesterone ) I would get bad flushes, each month would get worse palps feeling sick, anxiety, I was also on contraception cerazette which is progesterone only so I was advised by GP too stop everything if I could and see if it kept happening, it is settling now my system has cleared so I'm going back up to try another type, but I felt it was too much progesterone and I did try for months but never settled, maybe if you give it a little longer you may be ok or it could be you can't tolerate the type of progesterone norethisterone.

X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »

Progestogens can interfere with the oestrogen receptors in the body. This is how they stop the womb lining from building up from oestrogen, and it may be that they can have this effect elsewhere in the body - I seem to remember reading something about this the other day but I've no idea where!! Norethisterone is a very powerful progestogen when it acts on the womb, and it may also exert a powerful effect elsewhere and upset your temp regulation and temporarily negate the positive effects of oestrogen. ie could be that your apparent oestrogen levels fall - even though they are not really. Do you see what I mean? I am just speculating but think this has a grain of truth - no time to look this up as working tonight!

Hurdity x