Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleeding and tranexamic acid advice plse  (Read 9152 times)

cherylks

Heavy bleeding and tranexamic acid advice plse
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »

Hi, I have started really heavy bleeding again and last night had a funny turn.  Had gone to bathroom in night but as heading back to bed, felt my head go weird and buzzing and just as I got on bed think I passed out.  Came round & body heavy sweating for short time, palpitations and head continued to buzz and felt nausea and honestly thought maybe I was going to die. - I know it sounds extreme but my whole body just didn't feel right for about 10 mins.  Anyway, have now come to conclusion possibly blood pressure dropped suddenly.  Have been ok today although a bit light headed.  Will go to dr in week and realise I need to do something now about heavy bleeding.  If I take tranexamic acid I know it slows bleeding down but does that mean that the womb lining will just keep thickening and eventually will still need to come away ie mega heavy bleeding again? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Heavy bleeding and tranexamic acid advice plse
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »

Oh poor you, probably got out of bed too quickly I always tell DH to sit not he edge of the bed before walking anywhere!

Can't answer your question though ….

Wombat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »

Hi
This is from net doctor......

Femstrual tablets contain the active ingredient tranexamic acid, which is a type of medicine called an antifibrinolytic. It can be used to help reduce heavy bleeding during periods.
During your period you shed the lining of blood and tissue that has built up in your womb in preparation for implantation of a fertilised egg. When you bleed your body forms blood clots to stop the bleeding.
Blood clots are made of red blood cells and platelets bound together with a substance called fibrin. Once they have fulfilled their normal purpose of stopping bleeding, the body dissolves clots by producing another substance called plasmin. Plasmin breaks down the fibrin and allows the clots to break up.
In women who have heavy menstrual bleeding there are higher than normal levels of the enzymes that produce plasmin in the lining of the womb. This causes blood clots in the womb lining to dissolve and increases the volume of blood that is shed with each period.
Tranexamic acid stops the production of plasmin by blocking the action of the enzymes that produce it. This reduces the breakdown of fibrin and stops clots dissolving, which in turn helps to reduce bleeding.
Tranexamic acid can reduce menstrual blood loss by up to 58 per cent.

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womens-health/medicines/femstrual.html#ixzz2y2cKizWK
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

Wombat x

cherylks

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »

Thanks Wombat that is SO helpful!!  Will see doc early next week and see if I can start on those tabs.  They already have done scans etc and other than small polyps nothing else showed up so hopefully these tabs will help.

Wombat

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »

Your most welcome.....   X

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »

I had a similar thing happen to me just before Christmas.  I had a period that lasted 53 days, it started light but got very heavy.  My next period started after only 5 days and was very heavy.  I also collapsed after going to the toilet, I went to A&E and they found nothing wrong with me.  My GP did a blood test and it turned out I was anemic.  I had a scan and like you I have a polyp, which they say can cause heavy, prolonged periods.  I am waiting to have the polyp removed.  Touch wood my periods are now regular again, although closer together and very heavy.  I started taking iron tablets and my iron levels improved, but the heavy periods have caused it to drop again, so I'm still on the iron tablets.

Have you had your iron levels checked?

cherylks

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »

Yeh, had iron checked two months ago and was ok.  Doc says they may retest if I continue to black out.  Trouble is I've just discovered side effect of tranexamic acid is lightheadedness so I can't win really !!