Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: IBS seems to be back  (Read 3927 times)

Dandelion

IBS seems to be back
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »

My Femoston 2/10 stopped the daily inability to form a proper stool.
I've not had IBS diagnosed, in fact the doctor didn't equate it with meno, but she did do tests.
I only found out on here that IBS can happen in meno and it confirmed that meno was the cause of my inability to form proper stools when my ability returned very shortly after upping my Femoston to 2/10.

Is it ok to take immodium all the time?

I've noticed other meno symptoms get worse this last couple of days too, although no nightsweats still thank God, although I still use my fan.

See my sig for how long I have been on the HRT drugs.

Thanks.

honeybun

Re: IBS seems to be back
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »

I would not want to take Immodium constantly. Have you tried dietary changes. Although it's a bit daft you should try and increase your fibre.

I have spoken before herbal drops that treat and stop this and to my mind are a much safer than Imodium.

Honeyb
x

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »

No- you must not take Imodium all the time. it's for emergency only to get you through a day.

You need to have advice about your IBS.

I've recommended this here before but suggest you look at the evidence for changing your diet and working out what triggers your IBS- it is usually food.

http://www.theibsnetwork.org/the-self-care-plan/diet/is-it-food-intolerance-or-the-intolerant-gut/fodmaps/

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »

Hi Ladies

I try to eat as good a diet as possible but I am on benefits so I have to stick to a budget as there is simply not enough cash to buy the diet I would like. I try to get reduced fruit so I have plenty of fruit.
I had a sunday roast yesterday which normally does not cause diarrhoes.

Thanks for the link I will have a read.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

I use sparingly, for eg when I have to go out on time. I was advised to take Immodium the night before flying as well. I have been advised to try using  1 sachet of Fybrogel a day to regulate bowel action. I do note that it contains sorbitol, which can be a problem for some IBS sufferers. Have tried before and works for a few weeks, but it does give short term relief. Might work better for other people.

I talked with a life coach, who helped me change my attitude. Instead of getting upset that my bowel was messing up my life, I realised that my bowel does work, but is doing its best despite being compromised. I find myself congratulating it when I do a 'good' poo! ;D . I often feel low when IBS is bad, but now I know it will pass. It is a physical depression, due to the serotonin production in the gut.

Just read Dandelion's post. I was advised by to not eat too much fruit, due to the sugar content, but to eat loads of veg. I do find sugar whether refined or natural can be a problem, though it hasn't stopped me eating my birthday cake! :P

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »

The Fodmap diet cuts out lots of fruit and vegetables but it's only for 8 weeks then you can put them back in one at a time to see which ones upset you.

lubylou

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »

Hi,

You should not take Imodium on a regular basis, it is really only something to be used on a short-term basis. Perhaps try and use a bulking agent. You could always have a chat with your pharmacist or if the problem doesn't clear up then maybe go back to your GP.

Lubylou

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »

I use Actimel daily - 2/3 pots - which helps keep my bowel regular.  Without them I don't poo regularly enough and get 'slow transit'.  IBS can be controlling  :-\ ……… don't use any laxative etc. on a regular basis, OK for emergency use but the bowel needs to be 'taught' how to behave  ;)

As a recovering anorexic I am totally aware of my gut from the mouth downwards  :sigh: …….. it eventually forgot how to spasm in order to pass food through the system  ::) ………