Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Travelling with vagifem in hand luggage?  (Read 5847 times)

oldsheep

Travelling with vagifem in hand luggage?
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »

I'm going long haul on weds (12 1/2 hrs  :() and don't like packing any medicines in the hold suitcase. Anyone know if vagifem has to be taken out of hand luggage and plastic bagged like any creams or liquids?
I'm hoping Heathrow allow 2 larger plastic bags per person through security, not that one tiny one that you have to use at Stansted for short haul flights, where all toiletries have to be mini ones to fit it?
Don't want a vagifem security alert though! Anyone know? Thanks

Just read this on Heathrow website. I only have the meno clinic letter stating that they'd told me to use it. I'll freak out if they freak out! Seems the one tiny bag is the rule too.
Medicines
Can I take medicines in my hand baggage?
You can take enough essential liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in your hand baggage to cover your journey plus a reasonable amount to cover any delays. Any liquid, aerosol or gel medication not needed on the flight, together with any spares must be packed in your hold baggage.
There are no security restrictions on the carriage of powder or solid based medicines.
Liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in containers of 100ml or less should be either:
Placed inside your single transparent, resealable plastic bag no larger than 20cm x 20cm, along with any other liquid items; or
Carried separately together with supporting documentary proof of authenticity such as a prescription or letter from your doctor.
Liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in containers over 100ml must be carried separately, together with supporting documentary proof of authenticity, such as a prescription or letter from your doctor.
At security, you must present all liquid, aerosol and gel medication for inspection. Following x-ray screening, security officers may also need to carry out additional checks on these items.
The rules above apply equally to homeopathic and children's medicines.
There is no requirement to contact the airport in advance of your travels.I
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:47:37 AM by oldsheep »

ancient runner

Re: Travelling with vagifem in hand luggage?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »

Vagifem isn't liquid, aerosol or gel though is it? It's a dry tablet with an applicator. It's like taking pills on board, surely? And the box would have your prescription details on it? (this is one of the times I am really pleased to be using the estring -- they'd have to do a comprehensive search to find that going through security!!!)
xxx

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »

ancient runner - you are right, and I'm dim. No sleep and spiky eyes and hot this morning so wondering if the Evorel patch has marmite in it or oestrogen. Done nothing for the brain cells.
Panic over.
thank you!
(still think the 20cm x 20cm single bag allowed is daft. I mean, I'd not take a bin bag, but it's teeny).

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »

I'd reckon it is safe in hand luggage without putting in plastic bag.

As for those plastic bags, pretty sure you're only allowed one per person no matter what airport, but sure there must be exceptions for those on meds.  I took stuff through in a 20x20 plastic bag once & got such a ticking off because it was too big. Ones you get at airport more like 15x15. Some of these security folk scare the &%#@ out of me.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »

I now place my aero spacer along with inhalers in the plastic bag, after waiting ages to have my hand luggage searched. Seemed that was the problem. I also carry enough medication to last a few days, after having my suitcase taken. It took a few days for it to be tracked down.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »

I think vagifem is classed as tablets and it seems that tablets can be in your hand luggage.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/essential-medicines-and-medical-equipment

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

It's amazing the stuff that can go hand luggage.
A few years ago I had a procedure in Poland which required me to inject myself with blood thinners. I got on the plane with the injection paraphernalia in my hand luggage not an eye lid was batted.

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

I put mine in my hand luggage with no problems. I've also taken vacuum packed bacon and sausages! Got pulled over for a check but it was the tea bags that had looked suspicious apparently. Yes I know it's crazy taking that stuff but my husband panics about eating abroad  ::)

Ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »

I lose heaps of weight abroad, as never sure they understand lactose intolerance.