Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: The Dentists Chair  (Read 6166 times)

Cassie

The Dentists Chair
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »

Am I the only who who gets totally freaked out when they lie one back and tilt one right back that your head is basically in the dentists crotch and your feet are higher up than your head! My dentist insists on doing this, then one gets an apron put on your chest and a bright light in your face, makes me feel extremely claustrophobic and constrained and of course, in this position my heart, with all the extra adrenaline, is putting in plenty of ectopic beats which one can feel much easier and which are very uncomfortable and unpleasant, its all very stressful. Are there ladies who are lucky enough to have dentists that work with them sitting up, I have mentioned it but he basically dismissed the idea :( makes the visit all that worse!

Joyce

Re: The Dentists Chair
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »

My main worry is I get tipped so far back I grab the sides of the chair thinking I'm going to end up on my head. It's disconcerting, but I just focus on the poster on the ceiling.  :)

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »

And when you get up, the room is spinning lol!

Dizz

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »

Am I the only who who gets totally freaked out when they lie one back and tilt one right back that your head is basically in the dentists crotch and your feet are higher up than your head! My dentist insists on doing this, then one gets an apron put on your chest and a bright light in your face, makes me feel extremely claustrophobic and constrained and of course, in this position my heart, with all the extra adrenaline, is putting in plenty of ectopic beats which one can feel much easier and which are very uncomfortable and unpleasant, its all very stressful. Are there ladies who are lucky enough to have dentists that work with them sitting up, I have mentioned it but he basically dismissed the idea :( makes the visit all that worse!

Surely he must be able to agree to a compromise where you're almost flat but your head is slightly raised?  I don't like it either, it sets off my vertigo but my dentist always makes sure I'm not too uncomfortable.

I think I'd change dentists if he insists on treating you in a position that makes you feel ill.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »

Nope! it's the way that dentists treat patients.  It's the head in the crotch bit that gets to me, also when his tummy gurgles  :-*  :-X .... and you should never feel dizzy on rising, the dentist should raise the chair slowly and advise that you sit still for a while.  We get a bib, a pair of glasses, a 'where's Wally' on the ceiling  ;D and if we're lucky, painless treatment!

Talk to the Nurse/Dentist when you next go before you sit down!

purplenanny

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »

Yes, it is horrible and I hate it. But thankfully my dentist is brilliant and very understanding. If I were you I would change dentist.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »

I would go back for a discussion as if they aren't told they won't know ;-).  I used to hate the feeling of being trapped once that chair was tipped back.  Once I told the Dentist we had a hand signal which meant 'stop now' ……… it's about building a good working relationship. Problem is, in the NHS, dentists can change between our 6th monthly appts.  >:(

JJ

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:21 PM »

I would defo change dentist !

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:22:35 AM »

Thx ladies, so from reading your comments, am I the only one who gets tipped back are there those whose dentists work on their mouths whilst sitting up in the chair or is that only in the American movies...:) CKLD what are the glasses for... to block the light or to find Wally... ;D

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »

Mine tips you right back. It means that she gets a good look especially with the top teeth. The glasses are to give you that film star feel..  ;D

Interesting article here http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/loss-of-control/#chair

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »

Yep I loathe going to the dentist, but keep the thought that all this will soon be over.

My dentist looks half my age, but I feel like a little girl, when he says well done, keep the good work up with dental hygiene. I half expect him to pat me on the head!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

You don't get a star then  ;D

the glasses are to protect the face and eyes from that spray - I always need a towel after treatment for my neck  ::)