Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dreadful night  (Read 8559 times)

Joyce

Dreadful night
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »

Felt like a woman possessed last night. Went to bed around 10.30. Felt like I'd been zapped. Could not settle at all. I tried to read, but couldn't concentrate, tried music - that was worse, it was doing my head in, despite supposedly being music to relax by. I was still awake 4 hours later constantly battling with myself. Nothing I know of was bothering me, apart from trying to get to sleep. Must have fallen asleep about 3ish, only to waken hourly thereafter. Eventually slept & got up at 9.45.  Today I feel wiped out.

Wasn't flushes or anything keeping me awake, so can't blame reduction in HRT causing flushes during the night. Or can I? Flushes mainly seem to happen around teatime to bedtime, but in total about half a dozen a day.  Could this be anxiety rearing its ugly head?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dreadful night
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »

Were you hungry, thirsty or did you have wind?

My stomach felt queer last evening so I was wriggling around on the settee, even a bath didn't help and I thought it would keep me awake.  Fortunately ……...

lubylou

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »

You describe how I have been feeling off and on over the last month or so. I cannot work out why I suddenly feel brain zapped with adrenaline highs and find it impossible to concentrate on anything. I wonder of it is hormonal changes/swings and nothing to worry about. I wish it would stop though! For meiIt feel like anxiety but in the physical sense
LubyLou

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

Not hungry, thirsty or windy CLKD. Just been out for a walk seeing as it's bright & sunny. Needed to get potatoes for teatime. Have had problems getting to sleep in the past, but this was different. Oh the joys of this stage in our lives.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »

My anxiety does affect me like that. Mine is usually entered around my stomach. A kind of butterfly feeling in my stomach. Then I get restless and just can't seem to get settled enough to sleep.
It's horrible and it makes the night seem so very long. I also have to try and not thrash around a lot so I don't disturb hubby.
I usually end up in the kitchen having some hot milk and honey. I then go back to bed and read my kindle until I feel settled enough to sleep.

Maybe it was just a one off CG. How is your general anxiety as I remember you saying it was bothering you a bit.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »

Get it from time to time, more what they've classed as situational anxiety. Same feeling as I got on long haul flights and an over crowded train. Rescue Remedy not much use, short of downing the whole bottle.

Currently tingling from top to toe. Doubt it's to do with reduction in HRT though, as when I've had these bursts in the past I was on much higher dose.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »

You could maybe try a beta blocker CG. They do help me quite a bit. They calm down the inner tremors a lot.

This meno stuff just goes on and on  :(

Honeyb
x

lubylou

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »

Hunybun
Its the internal tremors (in tummy)  that I would like to stop and am going to ask about beta blockers as you have suggested before they help with this physical draining symptom. Well I find it draining when it just goes on and on............
Lubylou

Galadriel

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »

Lubylou and CG -  I had propranolol for four months. It certainly did the trick for me with anxiety and palpitations. I felt like I'd just had the biggest fright or about to sit an exam 24/7. I think the four months gave my poor adrenal glands time to recover from being in continual overdrive.

I hope you both find something soon to help you x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »

Unless you have suffered from constant anxiety then you have no idea how tiring it is. It's as if you are poised in readiness for something that never happens. Your body is at high alert all the time.
When you do start to relax its as if the air has been let out and you are like a flat balloon.
It's so exhausting being wound up all the time.

I do find the beta blockers very helpful as they stop your body being on high alert all the time. It's not a quick fix but it does help.

Honeyb
x

JJ

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »

I need to try those beta blockers, wish I didn't have asthma and I wish I'd take my doctors advice and try a tiny dose despite my asthma .......... My meno brain is quite irrational, I'd like to get it out and shake it !

rosebud57

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »

Hi,

I to have had bad nights.  It usually happens in phases of a few weeks at a time.  Probably best to try something like meditation or a herbal remedy.  If I get really desperate I take an old fashioned anti histamine, the ones that make you sleepy.  I would not advise beta blockers as the are REALLY SERIOUS MEDS,  with side effects.  My Dad was put on them by his doctor and they made him very ill, and made him so restless he could not sit still.  Not what you want to aid a good nights sleep!!!!

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »

Beta blockers are very commonly prescribed for anxiety. It's propanolol that is used. You can stop them and start them with no withdrawals. Mine are very mild at 10mg. They are not sleeping pills and can cause sleep disturbances but they do help with the adrenaline surges that anxiety causes.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »

Yes Honeybun, they help with the adrenalin surges that anxiety causes, but would it not be better to tackle the cause of the anxiety than take a drug.  I can't help feeling that medication should be the last resort, not the first.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »

Rosebud7 - we've had this conversation before on here ::) :  and anxiety can be helped by lots of methods but betablockas saved my Life.  I take 40mg propranolol every night and if necessary an emergency medication (name escapes me) which like Valium, is on short prescription. I take this when I am curled into a ball unable to move with anxiety, can't eat/sleep/drink/function ……… the problem is known but is untreatable ……….

Sometimes there is NO cause for anxiety other than anxiety itself.  I had 1 counsellor who told me that I must think about something before anxiety struck I could have hit her over the head  :bang: because for me, it hit without warning.

Low blood sugar, hunger, worry ………
Pages: [1] 2