Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dreadful night  (Read 8556 times)

honeybun

Re: Dreadful night
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »

Rosebud.....it was not my first choice at all. I have had CBT....Did not work for me. I have read books, talked to my GP, talked to my family. I have tried sprays, drops, herbal preparations. I have tried more exercise, relaxation, meditation.
My GP gave me AD's and they made me shake like a leaf and vomit.

Now if you can think of anything else then I would love to try it.

I have never resorted to pills but this was a very mild non addictive kind of medication that I could take as and when I needed to. It has not cured me but it makes things more manageable on a day to day basis.

Lots of us have tried most things that are available with no success.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »

Don't mean to tread on your toes, and agree that meds are often necessary but to suggest them to Cubagirl before she has tried anything else seems a bit premature.  As I said before all drugs have side effects, even if you are not aware of them and it's best to try something less drastic first.  Please don't take this personally.  I'm just expressing an opinion like everyone else on the forum.   

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »

You did not tread on my toes at all and you like the rest of us have the right to express your opinion.

Obviously it was only a suggestion to CG and it would be for her GP for to advise and prescribe.
I do know CG well however, having been on the forum with her for many years and do have a very good idea of what medications she already takes

We do make suggestions to each other and pass on our experiences and hopefully you will be able to as well.

What would you advise/ suggest for anxiety that I have not already tried. I would be interested to read about them.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »

I would not advise beta blockers as the are REALLY SERIOUS MEDS,  with side effects.  My Dad was put on them by his doctor and they made him very ill, and made him so restless he could not sit still.  Not what you want to aid a good nights sleep!!!!

That wouldn't aid a good nights sleep.
I know we are all different, but I've not heard of beta blockers making anybody restless.
ADs yes, BBs no, bearing in mind people can react differently to things

rosebud57

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »

Honeybun, please see my first reply for alternatives.  Limpy, I don't think my Dad would tell me porkies.  Please accept my word that is exactly what happened.

rosebud57

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »

PS. Cubagirl, checkout posts on 'sleep or not to sleep' thread.  Some useful suggestions there.

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »

Are anti histamines not addictive  :-\  especially the older style ones, although I have heard of them being used for anxiety in the very short term.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 12:22:12 AM »

Would only take prescribed meds as last resort. I'll persevere with other things first, though it is a tad difficult with over the counter stuff, as many loaded with lactose. Herbal stuff pretty useless really.  Anyway, although lacking sleep, haven't suffered with the zapped feeling since that night. If it becomes a real problem will speak to GP.

Think antihistamines are ok to take short term for sleep.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »

My friend had 2 betablockas and was climbing the walls  :o ……. some medications do exactly what is 'says on the tin'.  My Dad had medication which made him restless, we had to walk miles as he was unable to sit still  :'(.  Not everyone reacts as expected.  Prozac was supposed not to have side effects but I found some  >:( ……..

I have tried many things to ease anxiety.  CBT - as useful as a chocolate fire guard, relaxation therapy - helped at the time but eventually I required medication otherwise I would be off a high building.  Along with ADs my mental health is, more or less, under control unless I take on 'too much'.  I would love another dog but responsibility causes high anxiety, it broke my heart to have to take the cats into rescue  :'( - even medication didn't help ……

Some find yoga helpful.  Some walk etc..  I have nights when I can't get to sleep and it's annoying - DH never has difficulty sleeping  ;D even when I'm fidgety ……….

Cubagirl - what would be a 'last resort'?  Maybe try something sooner rather than later …….. antihistamines are non-addictive because the body excretes them - they do what is required in bringing allergic reactions 'down' - I use them, or travel sickness tablets, if I need a good night's sleep.  If we are on holiday when I tend to sleep less well, I buy Kwells or something in order to have good quality sleep.  Taken early enough in the evening I don't get 'hung over'  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

Re Prozac - I was given it to reduce MS linked fatigue.
Yes I got more energy, to the extent I couldn't sleep!  ::)
Not helpful as I was still working at the time.
Oh, and I got really ratty, quite vicious actually.
Marriage nearly flew out of the window.......

I suppose the thing is everybody reacts differently to medications.

lubylou

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »

We are all different so we all find different ways of coping and dealing with things. Whatever works go with it I say.

Anxiety and insomnia impact so much on quality of life and not just our lives but those we love and have around us. 8)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »

I totally agree!

Sleep deprivation is used as a torture method  :-\
Pages: 1 [2]