Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie confused  (Read 6705 times)

Lynanne

Newbie confused
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »

Hi all new here, been having the odd night flush for a while nothing too bad however now my joints ache and not sleeping too well. Have not bled since november. went to gp for advice and just told to take elleste duet 2mg no explanation no follow up request nothing. Have started taking them but feel worse after only 4 days nausea bad headache fuzzy vision dry eyes and mouth.  Surely I shouldn't feel worse on these than I did before.. Have stopped taking them and am back to my old self not sleeping but feeling ok during the day.  Cant see my g.p for 3 weeks.  Am I doing the right thing not taking them?

Galadriel

Re: Newbie confused
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »

Hi Lynanne and welcome. :welcomemm:

I'm new too. Sorry to hear you feel worse on HRT - these things do take time to settle in and side effects are pretty much to be expected. I'm sure someone will reply shortly, who has experience with your particular brand.

The menus to the left contain really helpful advice about what to expect from your hrt. :)

peri

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »

Hi Lynanne

I tried elleste duet and didn't get on with it im afraid, I stuck with it for 3 months but it didn't get any better for me.  I then switched to evorel sequi patches and felt instantly better, it's early days on them but so far so good.  I know we are all different in our biochemistry and what works for one person may not necessarily work for another but the good news is if it doesn't get any better you can always try another type of hrt.  I've had lots of good advice since I joined this forum and I would say read the green box on the left hand side of the screen marked HRT preparation do some research and switch if it's not working for you.  Good luck x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »

Hi and Welcome to MM girls
Lynanne - your GP has put you on a medium dose HRT and if you are peri meno that could be a bit to strong a dose.  Have a look at the HRT Preparations under the list to the left of this screen.  Many ladies find Femiston conti suits them well as the progesterone is kinder and it comes in low and medium doses. Patches can also be very well tolerated.  I'd go back with a print out of this info and ask for Femiston or patches.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »

Hi Lynanne

:welcomemm: from me too.

Just to add as well that it is best anyway to start with a lower dose of oestrogen and build up gradually because this does minimise side effects. If your body is deficient in oestrogen then it does take a while to acclimatise but yes, start on a lower dose and if you want tablets - I agree with Dancinggirl - start with Femoston - but 1/10, not the conti ( which is for post-menopause).

Hurdity  x

katem

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

Hello everybody, I am a newbie and I don't know how to post a new discussion so am having to crash this page and ask for help. Heres hoping you can help

peri

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »

Hi Katem

Go to home, then click on the icon new members and tell us about yourself xx

katem

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »

Thanks Peri, think I have got it sorted. I have just done my first post. Thanks again

Lynanne

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »

:D Hi thanks for your replies.
As I suspected from doing some research the g.p started me on too high a dose.  Will go back  and see a different g.p and ask for a patch I feel this may work best for me. Aching limbs again but not much else as I have been taking femarelle which seems to be helping the night sweats and sleeplessness nervous about progesterone as I have reacted badly to it in the past.. Cant have a mirena anymore as the 3rd one fell out and I now have uterine prolapse (what fun) But hey ho I'm still here enjoying the sunshine while it lasts.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

Lynanne
Just note that the patches are medium dose  - not low dose and have progesterones that can have side affects for those who are progesterone intolerant.  You could go for oestrogen patcher Oestrogel with Utrogestan(micronised progesterone) pills as this is a very well tolerated progesterone.
If I were you I'd be tempted to try the Femiston Sequi 1/10 as this has a kinder progesterone and is low dose - suits lots of women.  DG x

Lynanne

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »

Hi me again off see new gp tomorrow not sure what to do for the best still taking femarelle and feel great seems to be working on the whole for me occasional night sweat.. However concerned about my bones etc so not sure ifi should try hrt again. Any advice guys greatly appreciated  After such a bad start on too high a dose with a gp who didnt discuss anything with me a bit nervous.
Thanks in advance

Dinnie

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:54:56 AM »

Hi Lynanne

I had Elleste duet 1mg for 4/5 months it was terrible, before I started them I was just having a few night sweats and no period for 6 months, then I took tablets and felt terrible especially when on the progesterone part, I stopped taking them and 3 months on I'm back to just a few palps and that's only now and again, I'm going back next week to ask about Femiston as Dancing girl said you may not tolerate the progesterone in some and Femiston is kinder, I'm only thinking of my bones in later years too so that's why I'm thinking of going back to HRT, my GP is keen for me to take it cause I'm only 43, hope you get on ok.

X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »

Lynanne - If you don't mind trying HRT pills, I would try low dose Femiston as this is well tolerated by many. Good luck.  DG x

Lynanne

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 10:19:09 PM »

Well new gp as mine has retired said no need for hrt keep taking femarelle.  However feeling anxious all the time and no enthusiasm at all. Still night sweats ( so not sleeping too well)  Now just drained and my armpit has swollen to top the lot.  Another appontment tomorrow to check out the swelling dont think (hope) its anything serious as it is just soft no lumps but it is sore from time to time.  Husband is now suffering a severe bout of depression to top it all (help!)
On the bright side i now have a lovely new grand daughter weighed in at a whopping 12lbs 10oz.