Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: can you disguise a big bust ?  (Read 14824 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: can you disguise a big bust ?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »

Fewer items but better quality is the best way to go - as we get older our bodies need the better cut and better fabrics.  If you can find things cut on the bias (on the cross) it can be very flattering as is falls along the body line far better.  Usually costs more because it uses more fabric.  DG x

Joyce

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »

Exactly what my mum used to say DG.  She was very good at making her own & my clothes, so knew a lot about the cut of clothing.

ladybird52

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »

Dancinggirl I agree with you about better cut fabrics.  I have loads of impulse buys that I wear once and never again cluttering up my wardrobe but if I splash out on something a little more expensive it wears well.  My body shape will never fit a standard size now in the high street shops but somehow better clothing looks and feels better.  Don't get me started on shoes!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »

Hi ladybird - I agree about shoes - they are an absolute nightmare.  I have particular problems as I am size 2.5 and if one more person says "Oh your are lucky, you can buy children's shoes" I think I will throttle them.  I do not want children's shoes I want comfortable, stylish shoes that will last.
I have done a bit of a spring wardrobe edit recently - very cathartic.  I've bought some new trousers and a couple of tops for spring.  A good golden rule - "When you buy something new, throw out something you haven't worn for 2 or more years". When buying clothes try to buy items that can be worn 3 different ways. There are so many tips etc, from my days as a wardrobe adviser I could go on all day. 
I urge all you ladies to throw open your wardrobe and get rid of the old fusty stuff you know you will never wear again and treat yourself to something new - even if it is just a new scarf to brighten up an old outfit.  Happy shopping. DG x
PS anyone watching the BBC 2s Sewing Competition?  - I used to do a lot of sewing so absolutely love this programme.

ladybird52

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl, I laughed when I ready your post as while you have very dainty feet, I am a tall lady who has to wear size 8 or 9 if a high heel!  I have real problems in finding comfortable shoes that don't make my feet look like great big boats!  yes I agree with you, I really should have a major throw out as there are clothes in my wardrobe that will never ever fit me again although I live in hope.  Love sewing bee on BBC2 - I can't sew a stitch but really admire anyone that can.

Suzi Q

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »

kerrieann  - please, please don't buy a bra without trying it on first.  Getting the right cup size is crucial for comfort - the wires should sit on the body and definitely not dig into the breast. I have gone up 3 cup sizes in the last 10 years and I haven't actually put on that much weight. EVery make of bra will be a different size as well so you could be a 36 DD in one make and 38 E in another.
If you are curvaceous then go for softer lines generally.  Avoid highly tailored, angular clothes. Softer, finer fabrics skim the body and create a slimmer look.  I can help a client loose half a stone by dressing in the right way.  Never wear anything too tight or too loose buying the right size is very important. One of the tricks I used to use is : get the client to put on an outfit from their wardrobe that they feel really suits them, is comfortable and possibly brings compliments from others - try to analyse why it works for you - is it the shape, colour, neck line, does it pull focus to your best features e.g. legs, bust, shoulder line?  i found many women don't know their best features which is terribly sad - most of us have such terrible self esteem. It can be a disaster to have a friend or relation help you buy clothes as they tend to choose things that suit themselves and not you. When you try things on - take several things into the changing room (sometimes a couple of different sizes of the same item) and try each thing on and look at your self at a bit of a distance if possible. Try to forget it is you and just try to work out whether it is looking balanced - what is your gut feeling about it and very importantly do you feel comfortable ?  My big bug bare is dressing rooms - the lighting is usually terrible (highlighting all our cellulite and bulges!!) and the mirrors make our legs look shorter.  I often wonder if these stores actually want us to buy anything!!!!
Sale time can be very dangerous as we tend to buy what I call 'Compromise items' - things in the sale are in the sale for a reason - nobody wanted to buy them!!!! There are only the occasional random bargain finds and will usually be in the more expensive shops.
GEt your foundation garments sorted (bras and pants) and then treat yourself to a lovely V neck top that skims your body and in a lovely colour.  DG x

i AGREE GET ALL BRAS FITTED AND BE PREPARED TO PAY 50 QUID OR MORE ITS WORTH IT
U NEED THICK STRAPS AND GENTLE BUT STONG UNDERWIRE THE SIDES OF YOUR BUST MUST BE ENCLOSED IN THE BRA AT THE FITTING IF THEY ARE SHOWN ITS THE WRONG SIZE DONT WORRY ABOUT SIZES JUST GET ONE THAT FITS AND IS COMFY
DONT WEAR TIGHT FITTING TOPS NOR BAGGY ONES MAKE A DAY OF IT TRY ON LOADS OF TYPES OF TOPS FIND THE STYLES THAT MAKE UR BOOBS SMALLER
IM 34 F AND SOME TIMES I WAS FF DEPENDING ON MAKE
I SWEAR BY TRIUMPH AND HESTA THEY DONT LAST AS LONG SO I BUY 2 AT A TIME THE SAME BRAS AD I BUY THE EQUIV TO DECENT PRIMARK BRAS FOR AROUND THE HOUSE AND OUT IF IM WEARING LOOSE TOPS ENJOY FINDING THEM AND I UNDERSTAND TILL I WAS 14 I USED TO BIND MYSELF DAILY I WAS 34B AT 11 THATS NOT FUNNY HAHAAAHAH
Pages: 1 [2]