Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen dominant? progesterone deficient? really confused ...  (Read 2445 times)

antintz

Oestrogen dominant? progesterone deficient? really confused ...
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »

hello, am new to this. i'm 48 and hormones quite out of kilter. for months and month almost no bleeding, then a big bleed, alot of cramps, preceded by typical hormal headache and appallinginly teenage like acne ... what's happening? !  a while ago a doctor prescribed femostan 1/10 but i've been loathe to take it as no hot flushes, no insomnia, no palpitations ... but would the femostan balance both eostrogen and progesterone? i'm not against hrt per se, i'm just anti taking one that will exacerbate my symptoms ... any advice? thank you  ps i live in the sticks in africa so a visit to to the gp or gynae isn't easy ...

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogen dominant? progesterone deficient? really confused ...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »

Hi antintz

:welcomemm:  !!

Yes it's a shock with so much going on isn't it?

First of all I suggest you read this excellent article on this site, by Dr Currie - "Perils of the Peri-menopause" which explains much better than I can what's going on in your body at this time:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

In a nutshell - during peri your hormones fluctuate up and down - giving rise to some extreme symptoms eg moodiness and the pre-menstrual headaches you describe. Ad the ovaries begin to decline you don't ovulate in some cycles and therefore there is no progesterone so the lining can build up, and sometimes therefore periods become heavier for a time. Gradually, though, oestrogen levels decline overall and that is when many women notice the other symptoms of flushes and sweats etc.

Femoston is a good tablet HRT to start with and would definitely balance your hormones and give you a predictable bleed each month. It wouldn't necessarily completely eliminate the other symptoms though, if your own horomnes are still fluctuating, but they would eventually stabilise.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

cherylks

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

Hurdity, thank you so much for that link to "Perils of the Peri..."  I have found that so helpful!!  Sometimes I find it difficult to understand all the ins & outs of hormones but that article has made it so much easier to understand.  :)

antintz

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

Thank you so much Hurdity; such a comprehensive reply and directed to a very useful artile; thank you x