Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New  (Read 2116 times)

LILLYPRINT

New
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »

Hi,  I have just joined this site after hearing about it on This Morning earlier today.   Like my mother, I started the menopause at the age of 39.  Unlike many others I read about, I must have blinked and missed all the horrible symptoms that go with it. I have never had hot flushes or anything like that, my periods just went haywire and then stopped completely.   I will be 59 in a couple of weeks time and because I have never had any problems with the menopause, I have never felt the need to visit my doctor to discuss it. ( apart from when it was first confirmed ).  After watching the programme earlier today, I was wondering if  should take any supplements at all .  Any advice would be welcome.

Dancinggirl

Re: New
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »

Hi Lillyprint and welcome to MM
I had an early peri meno in my mid 30s and was put on HRT so I'm not sure when my periods actually stopped - probably around 39 or 40. I'm really surprised you haven't had any symptoms and also that you were not advised to take HRT to protect your heart and bones.
I would  advice you to get a bone density test to see if you are at risk of osteoporosis due to the lack of oestrogen for all these years.  To help your bones and heart, omega oils (especially Omega 3), vitamin D, magnesium and zinc are good supplements to consider. Increase your calcium intake with the right foods as well. Many of us take a good general vitamin supplement to ensure the right balance as many of us do not always eat as well as we should.
If you have developed any bladder issues or suffer burning or soreness in the vaginal region then local oestrogen can be very effective and carries very, very low risks and side effects - in fact is highly beneficial. I'm sure there will be others along soon with advice.  DG x

mamakaren

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »

Hi Lillyprint,  :welcomemm:

I agree a calcium, vitamin D and magnesium supplement is beneficial!

Karen

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »

:welcomemm:

LILLYPRINT

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »

Hi Folks.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.   I know from what friends and family have said Dancinggirl, I am  very lucky not to have had any symptoms at all.   I am due to go to the Doctors in a couple of weeks time for a repeat prescription for my Thyroid. so I will metion to her about me having an early menopause and see if she suggests anything.