Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: General queries for reassurance  (Read 2791 times)

Mary1962

General queries for reassurance
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »

I'm waiting for a gynae appointment after two scans showed a thickened lining, fibroid and polyp but not sure what to think of the latest change.  My periods last year went to 8 weeks inbetween and started to get very heavy - which is what led to the GP referring me for ultrasound.  As also was having other peri symptoms. Typically the first period I had after that was much kinder, heavy but just normal 5 days.  But this time nothing's come along and now heading towards 11 week gap inbetween.  Spoke to GP this week and she said hospital appt should be able to see what's going on but I've either stopped ovulating and the higher level of oestrogen compared to my progesterone levels may be leading to increasing buildup or I'm still ovulating and I'm going to have a rather interesting period, I think the actual word she used was deluge!   :o  She said if I had stopped ovulating everything may just start to shrivel and shed. ???  Just wondering if others have had similar end to their periods seemingly coming to a stop.  My only worry I guess was how does all the stuff for want of a better word come out if you don't have enough progesterone being produced to make it shed?  Or does the doctor then give you hormones to get that sorted?

Dizz

Re: General queries for reassurance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

Hello Mary, don't worry it will come away when it's good and ready, and yes, I would advise you to be ready for a deluge!  :o  Much like you my periods were all over the place for months and then nothing for around 3 months.  And then, just when I thought all bleeding was over and done, it started..........and it was instant flooding which carried on for 3 - 4 days before slowing up a bit.  It was so bad my husband wanted to take me to hospital  :o, I just didn't want to leave my bed.

I haven't said all this to worry you - it may not happen to you - but if it does you can at least be prepared (I had to send hubby out for more pads  :o).  I had no idea what was going on and was absolutely terrified, but I think it's quite common unfortunately.  :(

Take care. x

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »

Try not to worry. It would be totally normal to have a thicker lining if you are having irregular periods. Not sure why your dr thinks this is something to worry about or investigate, to be honest.

I'd also be wary of jumping to conclusions about what kind of period you are about to have next! I only had about a year of irregular periods before my last one ( aged 54 ish) and I found the bleeding was very light. The longest gap I had was 4 months and when the next period came it was barely there. I then had a period after the age  of 53 which my gynae put down to 'one of those things'- I was having scans at the time so it was all ok.

The lining only builds up when you have enough oestrogen. without that, it won't build up much. Yes, you can easily be given progestogen tablets- Norethisterone- to bring on a bleed if they think it's necessary.

Sometimes I think these GPs really don't have much experience.....

hope you get on okay.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:04:38 PM by Sarah2 »

Mary1962

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »

Thank you  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »

I was like Sarah2.  Intermittent light bleeds for 2-3 years before they stopped.  If you get the deluge as forecast by your GP  ::) there is medication that will ease symptoms.