Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why is it.....  (Read 13104 times)

Joyce

Re: Why is it.....
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »

My meno consultant told me as I started oestrogen only HRT at a relatively young age that my arteries etc would in effect have been "preserved" in whatever state they were in at that time, although she still feels that 60 is a good time to stop.

As for GPs keeping up too date on meno issues. I went to a GP who is supposedly up on female health issues, thinking at last I'd found a sympathetic ear. Unfortunately meno issues are not one of them!

Libbyloo I was threatened with statins for raised cholesterol a while back, I refused saying I'd rather try and lower it myself. I was once 6.9 now 4.9. Exercise & dieting did the trick.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »

Libbyloo..I have high cholesterol and am trying to lower it by diet..not so good at the exercise bit, but am fairly slim and BMI and blood pressure is fine..what was your regime to get yours under control?
Cuba girl,what a great reduction in your levels! Any special exercise and diet tips you could pass on?
In my case I have cut out as much fat as possible-no hard cheese at all (My fave..sigh) use rapeseed oil to cook,have upped fruit and veg,swapped to skimmed milk and use Benecol spread and yoghurt drinks each day.Any other advice gratefully received as really do not want to use statins!
Diamonds and pearls x

Sarah2

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »

Diamond- my mum is late 80s and has managed to control/lower her cholesterol. She has cut out all cakes, pastries and biscuits, which have high levels of fat in them and choccies etc- anything which has saturated fat in it -  as well as red meat.
You also need to exercise- 30 minutes brisk walking every day is enough.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »

Hi Sarah,have really tried hard with the cakes, biscuits etc and have very little red meat so hopefully am on the right track.Will try to do more walking-don't  do as much as I should so will work on that.Well done to your Mum-that's inspiring!
Diamonds and pearls x

Joyce

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »

Diamonds & pearls, only exercises were swimming & walking. Also stuck to diet. Haven't been as good of late, as watching everything I ate was a real pain. Having said that I've only put on a few pounds.  Swimming pool is close by so can walk, but with such rubbish weather I haven't been as often as I'd like.

juliekim

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »

Hi Diamonds and Pearls,

I just saw your post about how to get your cholesterol level down without taking statins.  My dad took a natural supplement called Red Sterol Complex by Higher Nature and this has reduced his cholesterol back into normal range. I think you need to take it for about 3 months before it has any effect.  His cholesterol used to be 7.5 and is now 5.  Maybe you could see what you think of this supplement!

Good luck with it!

Best wishes,

Julie x

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »

Cubagirl, I don't swim but will try and be good about the walking.. I agree though-I find it so hard to motivate  myself while the weather is so grim..must try harder! Weight is not an issue, in fact the G.P thinks I may have a familial tendency towards high cholesterol as my sister and Mum's are also high and they are active and slim..hmmm
Juliekim, thanks for that recommendation, I am already using Benecol spread and drinks though (which contain plant sterols) and I think these are supposed to do the same thing? Great result for your Dad though..may think about trying them too!
Diamonds and pearls x

libbyloo

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »

Hi diamond and pearls, just catching up today. My cholesterol went up to 8 :'(. I'm 49, size 12, good nutrition and exercise have been huge part of my life for years, to prevent this. Its been creeping up since my mum died 15 yes ago. Two yearly checks. 3 mths ago doc (just moved clinic house move). Did put me on statins, I was very upset. But like many ladies say. Stations ius controversial like stations. But good outweighs the bad. I do believe for women who are really suffering, hrt is a must. I wouldn't hesitate. My cholesterol is out of control, I have no choice to take statins. My body is making too much. But normally a diet rich in oily fish, good regular exercise, low fat diet should be enough to level your stations. My sister incidently is a larger lady, doiesnt take the pride I have, food, drink, smokes in excess, indulges....her cholesterol is naturally 3!  I'm controlling my mild meno symptoms with  omega 3, lots of food with natural plant sterols,. Bananas,red clover, cucumber, figs, datres,advocado, grapes, apples, seaweed, list is long. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »

Statins can cause side-effects of muscle pains and spasms which are intolerable  :-\ ……… it depends on which Reps have been round the Surgeries too  ::)

Do you get any un-comfortable side-effects

rosebud57

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 09:16:57 AM »

Check out Dr John Briffa's web site.  He gives the low down on the problems with statins and how they are pushed onto the wrong people.  Also brill for weight loss advise and health generally. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]