Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen Cream  (Read 3672 times)

catsfuge

Oestrogen Cream
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

Hi Everyone
It's been ages since I last posted, lots going on!
Not sure if this is a 'new topic' or not so sorry if I've got it wrong.

Anyway brief summary; I'm 50 years old now and post menopause. Not had a period since 2008 after an oophorectomy and ablation. Hot flushes started in about 2010 but decided against HRT at that time (BP was quite high as well) GP prescribed Citalopram for the hot flushes and it worked (although it's not indicated for this)
Basically I haven't been too bad in the last 12 months until very recently when I've started to notice extreme vaginal dryness, dry skin (especially hands for some reason) and an increase in anxiety levels. My sex drive is zero but then it's never been great  ???

I'm still not keen on HRT but wondered if I would benefit from an oestrogen supplement (cream)?
If so would it be ok to just have oestrogen or do I need progesterone as well?

My BP is now ok. I lost about 10kg in weight last year and I think this has helped.

Thanks
Catsfuge

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogen Cream
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »

Hi catsfuge

For the dryness you could use either an oestrogen cream (estriol) or Vagifem - which is a vaginal tablet. All the symptoms and preparations are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

I am not clear what happens to the body hormonally after an oophorectomy but if you had both ovaries removed, then you will have had almost no oestrogen for the last 6 years since the age of 44. It is generally recommended that women need to replace oestrogen if entering menopause early, at least until the average age of natural menopause (51-2) in particular to protect their bones from osteoporosis.

Perhaps you would reconsider - and depending if you have a history of osteo in your family? Maybe request a scan to check your bone density.

If you do decide on full HRT you do need progestogen I underastand, even after an ablation - although your gyane will recommend in your case. You don't need progestogens with local oestrogen.

For early menopause especially, it is far better to take HRT for hot flushes than Citalopram - because of the other health benefits, provided you are medically OK to take it ie your blood pressure is controlled. Patches or gel would be preferable to tablets, if you have a history of high BP.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x