Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are you still working?  (Read 11776 times)

tiger74

Re: Are you still working?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »

I have a job that I love and cannot imagine not being at work. 

I have changed careers several times and was successful in getting my most recent job precisely because of my age (in my 50s) partly because unlike younger candidates:
- I have no need to work around school hours and school holidays
- I have life experience which is useful
- there's no chance of my disappearing off on maternity leave

Don't let your age get in the way.

Milliemoo7

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 10:32:20 PM »

Yes, but only part time.  I have family commitments and a dog!   Unless I meet and marry a rich man I'll have to go on til I am 66 I think.

Mostly I enjoy my job but there are times when I get very annoyed with the general public and wish I worked in an office.  I am lucky in that I can sit down, stand up, move around in my job.  I couldnt do a job that involved a lot of standing due to back problems.

If I was at home all day I would get really depressed.  I do have hobbies but I do like having a job as I think it sort of gives me my identity (it shouldnt but does).  I like meeting people (most of the time) and the money isnt bad.

groundhog

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:19 AM »

I worked until about 18 months ago when I was medically retired.  I enjoyed my job and now that it has gone I realise how much it meant to me.  I do not work now owing to health issues abut also 2 months after I was retired my mother had brain haemorrhage so I am heavily involved in her care.  T be honest I hate not working - my job kept my mind active and I enjoyed it plus interacting with people of course .  ,my health is more stable now i don't work but I'm sorry to say I find it all rather mundane.  Because of my caring commitments I can't do much for myself but I am learning to make time for ME as it is important. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 08:53:56 AM »

I would love to be able to work. I assumed I would eventually resume my teaching career after after having my children, but it didn't work out that way. I worked full time for a full year, but found it too much physically. I remember wishing my children were in bed, so I could finish the paperwork and preparation, so I too could go to bed. I had to give up for my sake and for everyone else's. I carried on with any part time work and supply teaching that came my way until I was 55 and could claim a very small pension early. The older I got, the more recovery time I needed and l had I had no energy left for a social life. There has been a huge financial implication and for some reason  I have been embarrassed and have felt guilty. Only now ( I shall be 60 next month) have I doctor who is keen to get to the bottom of what's going on. Maybe if I had been able to be more assertive, I might have been able to have got more help before. I won't get my state pension until I am 66.

Pussycat

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »

I work part time, 3 days a week, as a Personnel Administrator in the public sector. Will probably be made redundant next year due to outsourcing. No idea what I plan to do after that. I am 55 in September. 

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »

Yes, I am nearly 61 and I work part time (3 days a week) supporting S.E.N children in a large secondary school. I am due to receive my pension when I am 63 and a half but doubt I will be able to afford to retire-will probably have to work forever! I also have to provide a lot of support to my 83 year old Mum who has increasing memory loss and is very demanding, plus I have the usual family commitments. I would like to keep working though, I think it keeps me young  ( helped by hrt!) and also gives structure to my week, as well as variety.The children I work with are great too!
Diamond and pearls x

Winterose

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »

I work at 57 and have my own small part time business, I have a love hate relationship with it but mostly love.  It keeps me focused and I enjoy meeting all sorts of people from many walks of life.  My children have grown up and my husband still works.  I wont get a pension until I am 66 .  I find my friends who dont work have more ills , complaints and general dissatisfaction than those who do something.  Different for ladies caring for elderly relatives as this is exhausting and often unrewarding work and they often have no choice but to do it  so huge amounts of respect for them. :)

Dyan

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

I'm 52 and work 2 days a week with children.
Absolutely love it! Very rewarding.
Pages: 1 [2]