Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New here, panicking about spotting!  (Read 6283 times)

Bexp66

New here, panicking about spotting!
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »

Hi

I have been scouring the forums for a bit of insight but can't find anyone who quite matches my situation.

I am 47 and last year my periods went from a 32/33 day cycle to 27/28 cycle and much lighter bleeding. Back in October I had a couple of instances of very light spotting (only noticed when I wiped). This carried on through November and December. I put it down to coming up to the menopause but decided to keep a note through January of what was happening. I have done and the spotting is now daily, usually just once a day, I notice some slight blood in the cervical mucus. I have made the appointment with my GP which is Thursday but am now seriously panicking and regretting not going a lot sooner. As a teacher everything gets put off the holidays! I did try Agnus castus and it took care of the constant pms but did nothing for the bleeding! I also get some bloating, a couple of dizzy spells, aches in my joints etc (but no hot flushes as yet), generally feeling rather rubbish now!

Anyway, I know there is no answers till I go to the doctors but just wondering if anyone else out there has had this daily very very slight spotting? I have stupidly now read so much by googling that I really am not so sure now that it can be just perimenopausal.

Thanks for listening, it really does help just to write it down!

honeybun

Re: New here, panicking about spotting!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »

:welcomemm:

Sounds perfectly "normal " to me. Your period can come and go, be heavier, lighter and just spotting. This can go on for years.

Try not to worry. I would also say that a lot of GPs will not go on blood tests alone
as they are so unreliable.
You are the same age as I was when things started to change month on month. It went from flooding to nothing for months then spotting. And so on it went.

There will be others along to welcome you soon.

Honeyb
x

Bexp66

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »

Thanks Honeyb. I am hoping it is just 'normal' - if there is such a thing! I am still having regular periods and the spotting in between. I think I would be happier if the spotting was because I had missed! I think this forum is fabulous - I am so glad I stumbled across it.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »

Browse around, join in and ask as many questions as you like.

We are a friendly bunch and there are a few laughs along the way.
It just helps sometimes to know there are others that have been there and are wearing the T shirt.

Honeyb
x

Jane44

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »

Hi there that's exactly me too ! Only there when you wipe and freaks us out I emailed dr currie and she said to try the mirena. We probably need a scan or hystersocpy to put our mind at rest but am sure it's probably meno I also have started with night flushes and palpitations ! Waiting for a 24 hr ecg had bloods yesterday but GP doesn't agree with meno bloods as she says very inaccurate.
All horrid just want it to stop now !!!

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »

It's often caused by low progesterone levels in the 2nd half of your cycle. I have had friends who had constant spotting and they were given the equivalent of the mini pill- progesterone only tablets.

As long as you are up to date with smears and your periods have not stopped altogether for a year or more before any bleeding happens like this, it's usually always hormonal, or something minor like a polyp or erosion.

Jane44

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »

Hi there just wondering how you got on at the GP hope things have settled and your at least reassured xx

Bexp66

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »

Hello, thanks for all your comments. I thought I would give a bit of an update. I did pluck up the courage to go to the doctors, and felt silly for putting it off. She was really good and straight away referred me to have an ultrasound, swabs, blood and urine tests. I need to go back later this week to get the results which should all be back. The ultrasound was fine, apart from having to hold a pint and a half of water in my bladder while she pressed down! The internal ultrasound really was okay, not as bad as a smear, just a tad uncomfortable. The swabs did make be bleed for a few days but again, pretty much like having a smear.

I am feeling less awful. I have cut out all sweets, chocolate, biscuits and cake from my diet and it seems to have helped with the bloating ... Or at least something has! I had a really bad ache in my side, which at times I decided must be the (imaginary!) cancer spreading but have since realised it is mostly posture and a bad matress.

I still have the bleeding and would like to know what's going on. I am less worried than I was ... I am also thinking if something really awful showed up they may have rung! I missed my period completely last month but I think that may be stress.

Please ask away if you have any questions and I will update after my doctors visit. I know I was desperate to find others who were going through something similar. I would say if you find yourself bleeding, even if only a very little, go to the doctors sooner rather than later. The relief is huge and it could be the sign that all is not well and better to find that out than bury your head like I did for several months. It really isn't half as scary once you start the process going.
 :)

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »

Thanks for the update Bexp66 and glad to hear you are being investigated and are now less worried. I think that's half the battle isn't it? We worry ourselves silly about things and put off going to the doc and then when you do go, as you say, the relief is enormous and especially if it turns out to be something minor!

Hopefully you will soon hear that all is OK

Hurdity x

Jane44

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »

Agree I too am going to try and pluck up courage to see DR I convince myself it's memo then I freak myself out that its something terrible!!!!! Started with that burning mouth thing this week which is also meno am sure, just rang GP and bloods ok although didn't do meno as GP didn't think that accurate.
Thanks girls for being there x

libby1

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »

Hi Bex

I'm having problems with spotting too. Are you still suffering and did you get your results? It does totally freak you out, cold sweat, the lot  :(

Libby
x