Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thinning and dull hair - any tips?  (Read 25226 times)

rosebud57

Re: Thinning and dull hair - any tips?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

Just had a thought.  I take magnesium, Vitamin D and Q10.  Since I have been taking these my nails, which had become quite soft and thin, are now hard and healthy again.  Don't know which one did the trick or if it  was a combination of the 3, but it could be worth a try for your hair.

tiger74

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:47 PM »

Thank you folks.  Would be great to have feedback Morwenna, when you get a chance.

Thank you for all the other suggestions too. 

tiger74

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »

I've now booked a trichology appointment for 5 March.  If there's any general advice emanating from that I shall post it on here.  I see this thread has been read many times so if I do pick up any useful snippets perhaps they will also be useful to the others who are reading this topic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:34:57 PM by tiger74 »

tiger74

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »

An update after my trichology appointment earlier this week.  Not sure how much of this advice I will take but I post it here in case it is of interest to others.  We covered a lot of ground as I was there 2 hours so these are the bits I remember.  I should have taken my own advice about taking someone with me to the appointment!

The trichologist actually seemed more interested in my thyroid history than hormonal changes due to sudden (induced) menopause and hormone therapy meds.  As I'm on medication for thyroid issues (and will be for the rest of my life) I have my thyroid levels checked at least every 6 months anyway and she stressed the importance of continuing with this.

She recognised that I have female pattern hair thinning (albeit not very noticeable yet) – lovely and thick at the sides and back and less dense on the top and around my double crown.

She mentioned treatment with Minoxidil.   Doesn't work for everyone and apparently, once use is discontinued the hair loss progresses to the level it was heading for in the first place.  Worth a thought though so I may ask my oncologist at my upcoming appointment and to check there are no contraindications because of the various meds I take.   

She also mentioned hair transplant surgery.  I'd have to be pretty desperate to go down that route.

Hair pieces are also a possibility, Basically stuck on, then your own hair woven through and the hair piece cut and styled with your own hair.  Would have to be changed every few weeks.

She is a fan of ‘Faith in Nature' hair products.  She doesn't like Nioxin Diaboost as it permanently coats the hair and scalp – seems to get good results though.

She showed me how to use Nanogen ‘sprinkles' and locking spray.  Seemed quite simple and I may well invest in some to try to disguise the problem.

As expected, she stressed the importance of ensuring I am taking in sufficient vitamins and minerals.  She recommends a multi-vitamin called Lambert's Maxi-Hair.   She ascertained that I'm low in zinc which is something I can address.  She also suggested having a blood test to test my serum ferritin level although she doesn't think my problem is due to Chronic Telogen Effluvium because my hair density is variable and there's no visible shedding/breakage.

She made it clear that that some of her suggestions aren't relevant to me yet as my hair thinning isn't too bad yet.  However, she said that should I wish to take action at some time in the future it is very useful to have dated photos of progression.  She suggested two sets of photos, one set with wet hair, one set with hair just blow-dried.  Three photos in each set: one of a central parting from the front to the back; one of a parting from the centre of the ear up the side of the head; one of the temples/front hairline.  Will definitely be doing this.   

All in all a useful consultation although a bit ‘information overload'.

Love to hear from anyone with any other information/thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:55:02 PM by tiger74 »

Meeka

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »

I was losing hair quite badly a couple of years ago and found I was deficient in Vitamin D.  It can affect the hair cycle and mean more hair is shed than replaced.

tiger74

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 10:41:59 PM »

Yep, trichologist mentioned Vitamin D.  I already take many times the RDA in order to ensure absorption of the calcium which I take to ward off bone thinning which is a common side-effect of my oestrogen-blocking meds.  Apparently many people in UK are deficient in Vit D though, because of the angle/strength of the sun at this latitude.     

MaggieM

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »

Yeah, rubbish hair! Another lovely meno symptom often overlooked. Whilst mine hasn't thinned out any (wish it would a bit cos it's too thick), it's gone really dry and brittle and I am spending a small fortune on treatments, product, etc. A couple of ladies have mentioned Nioxin - I understand that's great if you have thin or thinning hair and worth a try.

Hope your hair feels better soon  :)

Mags x

Morwenna

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »

I've been using Nioxin no. 4 shampoo for 'fine, coloured hair' for around three weeks now and am moderately pleased with the result. My hair certainly feels thicker but I think this is because the shampoo coats each strand with a thickening agent. I only apply conditioner (not Nioxin brand) to the ends and have discovered the key to keeping my hair looking reasonable between washes is to give it a really good blow dry, starting with the ends (which tend to dry the fastest) and then lifting and stretching the roots over a large round brush. (My hair is just below shoulder length and I'm trying to grow it.) I still need to run the straighteners over the top layer and my fringe but my hair is continuing to look good for up to three days before needing washing again although I do tie it back most of the time. If I don't blow dry it, it looks flat and has a fine layer of 'fuzz' all over. Nioxin don't actually claim to promote new hair growth, just to strengthen what is already there and protect from breakage. My problem isn't breakage but shedding - this is still happening. I've read that shedding is more common over the winter months so I'm hoping it will slow down soon.

tiger74

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and tips Morwenna.  Wishing you all the best.

tiger74

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »

Just to say that I've been using the Organix shampoo and conditioner with argan oil for a few weeks now and it really is lovely to use and I think it's helped somewhat to brighten up my hair i.e. it's a bit less matt/dull-looking now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:37:18 AM by tiger74 »

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »

I have discovered Garnier Ultimate Blends shampoo and conditioner ( they have an Argan Oil one) I like the Lemon and Green Tea.

Think nourishing hair from within is a good idea, make sure you eat plenty of protein (eggs are good for hair health)  supplement that include Biotin, and the Omegas, a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement benefits both skin and hair.

Try not to blow dry hair too often, mop up wetness with a towel, and then massage scalp and hair dry with fingers, this encourages blood flow.

Another tip is shampoo in reverse, put your conditioner on first, leave on for as long as you like and then shampoo out. Using an whisked egg on the hair before shampooing can thicken and add shine.

HRT can be both good and bad for the hair, some women find it thicken it, others say it sheds more and thins.

Cassie

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »

Myself and both my daugthers are losing a lot of hair @ the moment, it is definitely seasonal related in this case, happens every year :) we are like horses lol...

tiger74

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »

Thanks for the helpful inputs Silverlady.

Cassie - my hair thinning is definitely not seasonal, it's ongoing with no real prospect of any increase in actual density   :(   So I was asking for tips/strategies to make the best of what I have.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:30:05 AM by tiger74 »

Rowan

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »

I have often wondered if I might dare to ask Emma for a "sticky" for Health and Beauty tips, I have started threads before but they do tend to get lost.

I don't mean for discussion because that tends to get a little heated, but to add Tips to a Knowledge Base,  bearing in mind that what might work for one personally might not work for another.

tiger74

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »

Judging by how many times this thread has been read I think that a "Health and Beauty tips" sticky thread would be a good idea.

Pages: 1 [2] 3