Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What pain killers work for VA?  (Read 6815 times)

Maryjane

What pain killers work for VA?
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »

Sorry I am such a moaning mini. My VA is really bad it feels like one area in the vagina like when you burn yourself on the cooker and if you don't put it under the water the burning continues. It is three days now since I stopped the Ovestin, I was going to put the Vagifem in tonight but don't know if my fanny can take it.

I am so scared as my mum has just had to have her vagina injected with anaesthetic which she will have to have every three weeks for the rest of her life, from VA left undiagnosed she has complete nerve damage in there. The ambulance came for her this am.

Can you really have pain in one area? As it almost feels like an ulcer in there I was thoroughly examined by a uro/gynae. since yesterday I also have what feel like tiny ulcers coming on my labia, from possibly rubbing on my sanitary towel I lie on the bed as much as possible on a bath towel so i don't need a sanitary towel.

Would the Ovestin still be in my system regards the extreme burning, and would it be in my menstrual blood which is why it is continuing to burn?

I am on my own tomorrow and rather concerned about my mental state at the moment, I have cried all day. I feel like asking for an endoscopy of the vagina to make sure there isn't an ulcer in there.

Sarah2

Re: What pain killers work for VA?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »

You sound very down. It will settle down in time, I'm sure.

It might take a bit longer for the burning to stop. I knew someone who was very sensitive to Ovestin and said it burnt holes on her labia.
I find if I use too much- as I have this week ( every other day) that I suffer from burning too.
Soaking yourself in bicarbonate of soda in the bath can be soothing- a big handful in the bath water.
Or just pouring tepid water over yourself- hand shower or a bottle.

Have you tried the obvious like taking some pain killers to see if that helps a bit?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »

I haven't found any painkillers that help.  I just use a tissue or kitchen roll run under the cold tap and press it to the sore area for a minute or two.  Do drink lots of water during the day.  I think I made my burning worse by not drinking enough and my urine was too strong and acidic.
I really sympathise - it's a horrid pain. 
I do find that Vagifem is better than Ovestin. DG x :hug:

Tingly

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »

Oh mary jane this is bringing back memories for me
My va was v bad and it was left undiagnosed for ages...as a result ivr bern left with something called vulvodynia which is similar to nerve damage.

I got so low for so long i genuinely considered whether i wished to continue waking up every morning--i was in complete despair.i couldnt even sleep at night with the pain.

Anyhow some quick relief i got when at home on my owm were (sorry for the weirdness but you try anything when ur desperate)....
A glass of cold water lodged between legs whilst watching tv---keep refilling as water gets warm--THIS IS BY FAT AND AWAY MY FAVOURITE AND WORKS FOR ME.

A cool pack gel thing from chemist between legs(not as good as the glass tho)

Beware of this one in case its dampngerous butOne i found by accident was olbas oil on tissue -LEAVE ON TISSUE TO EVAPORATE A LOT---and dabbed both outside and inside helped ( this is probably dangerous though)

Hotwater bottles in pelvic areaz

Ive also been prescribed an anti depressant for nerve endings but have yet to take them.

Please dont give up, mine is now not gone , but more manageable and not nearly so painful.

Ps painkillers didnt work for me.

All best wishes xxx

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »

You might also find that something like Sudocrem helps the external soreness - just a thin layer- or even a tiny bit of Vaseline on sore skin.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »

Maryjane - what a miserable time you are having.
If you think you have ulcers or open sores perhaps try saline solution on a tissue or cotton wool around the area.  I did try Sudocrem on the advice of a doctor and i'm afraid it stung like crazy.

I think if the skin is sensitive - which at the moment is what you are experiencing - then it is very difficult to deal with. I found Ovestin burned badly. I am using Vagifem and the first 2 week load made me very sore, then the burning got a little better for a week or two - then I had to drive my sister to the hospital two days in a row - an hour journey each way and then sitting in awaiting rooms for at least 2 hours - after this my burning returned with a vengeance.
I don't think I could ever do a desk job. I put up with the burning for 3 weeks (using Vagifem 2 times per week) and actually developed a UTI in the end - I think I wasn't drinking enough at the time either.  Anyway, I'm now using Vagifem 3 times a week and I am noticing a bit of improvement.
I still use a little Multi-gyn actigel which helps to keep things moisturised and healthy  - I think Hyalofemme is good as well and is less likely to sting (you can order this on the internet). Some gentle moisturisation may help with any chaffing from Sanitory towels etc.
Also try using Aqueous cream to wash with - I often use this and find is soothing.
We really understand what you going through - it is utterly miserable and dominates your life.
Keep us posted on your progress.  DGX :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »

If you feel unable to be alone then go down to the Surgery and ask to sit for a while.  I did that when I was severely depressed, I would be offered a cup of tea but simply needed to sit with someone so that I didn't do myself an injury.

My paternal grand ma swore by bicarb of soda for lots of matters.  They didn't have much t o call on so reached into the kitchen cupboards for remedies.

Yes one can have sore patches in one area.  Have you tried LIVE yoghurt gently inserted, cooling and can ease symptoms.  Do not use sanitary towels because they chafe and can dry the vagina.  Lay on a bath towel naked.  In the day time use 2 pairs of cotton panties, no tights ……… allowing as much air through as possible.

Keep the outer vaginal lips lubricated with Savlon or KY jelly. 

Sarah2

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »

Ooooooh no- never ever use Savlon on your intimate bits! It's an antiseptic and can cause havoc.
Live yoghurt is often suggested for thrush but again, everyone is different and it may irritate already sore skin.
You need to be careful if you are already sore.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »

You mention sanitary towels - most towels now have an added deodoriser and I, and lots of others, are allergic to this. It's worth checking that the ones you are using are un-deodorised as this can cause teeny ulcer like spots on the labia.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »

I always thought that bicarbonate of soda would be very drying.

The older makes of sanitary towels should be ok. I could never have gone without some kind of protection, my periods were simply too heavy. Even lying on a towel would have been a disaster.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »

Which are the "older" types Honeybun. I have found it difficult to find ordinary ones.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »

I can't remember the name of them Taz but we have one very old fashioned chemist in the town and I noticed a few weeks ago they had some tucked away in a corner. I have not seen this brand for years. Think they were one of the first ones that that stuck to your knickers.

We have a large elderly population here so maybe there is a market for them.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »

Was it like Dr Whites? I remember getting them for my mum. The chemist used to wrap them in brown paper like they were some sort of illegal substance  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »

Yes they were the original big thick ones. Rather like having a brick (albeit softer) between your legs  ::)

I hated them but did develop a sensitivity to the new ones. I always thought it was the plastic type backing that just made me sweaty and itchy that was the problem But it could well have been the deoderiser.

Don't need to bother any more thank goodness.

Honeyb
x

Sarah2

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »

There is a make of towels, tampons and panty liners called Natracare. They are not so soft as Always but they do not contain any nasties- bleach, perfume etc and are made from unbleached organic cotton.
Some Boots have them and so do Waitrose. They are thin like modern towels but they do a thicker one too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:13:51 PM by Sarah2 »
Pages: [1] 2