Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Mammogram and Biopsy and ERT  (Read 5821 times)

Trey

My Mammogram and Biopsy and ERT
« on: February 15, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »

I got married 11am February 4th, I got a phone call at 10 am telling me I had a suspicious mammogram and needed to see the radiologist who specializes in women's health ASAP.

Marriage ceremony at 11, saw radiologist, following a repeat mamm, at 2pm.  Result was five micro calcifications which, in US, is considered highly suspicious for cancer.  The doctor and OH, who is also a registered nurse, and I discussed the study that said mammography was overdone.  The doctor said that biopsy is really a personal choice and when presented with the provable percentages of micro calcifications that indicate cancer, that the patient often opts for biopsy.

My sister and mother have had breast cancer.  My mother at 84, my sister at 72.

I have taken ERT since I was 41, following a sub total hyst, (ovaries not taken), at 32.  I am probably the oldest person on this forum.  My biggest fear was if I had to stop ERT as I am sexually active, play high level tennis, hike and live and feel very young.  This after one hell of a menopause, early meno, when I thought I was going mad.  So the thought of ceasing ERT was terrifying.  Also had VA and have prolapse.  Both VA and prolapse very manageable with ERT patch and cream.

I have macro calcifications.  They are considered benign and are usually in response to injury or slight infection.

After five days of controlled anxiety and uncontrolled hell I called and doc got prelim pathology report which showed benign.  I almost went into shock as I had prepared for the worst.

I write all this in hopes of helping others with thoughts of mamm and ERT.  I will probably get a letter saying repeat mamm in six months.

Oh, I now have a titanium chip in my breast as a marker for all future, if any, mamms so doc will know they were benign.  The needle biopsy got four of the five micro calcifications.

The stereotactic needle biopsy table was AWFUL.  It is metal, totally flat with no opening for head.  Only the breast went through a hole in the table and the doc works under the table, guided by computer image.  I thought my neck and back would kill me and they did for days after.  Horrible table, but apparently that is the table that is used.  Makes no sense to me why there is no opening for the head.  Gees.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:45:06 PM by Trey »

Joyce

Re: My Mammogram and Biopsy and ERT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »

What a relief for you & your new hubby Trey!  :foryou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »

Thanks for the update! Such a relief!  Now you can get on and on and  :bed:  you will probably feel shocked for a few days even though the news is good.

Milliemoo7

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »

Oh Trey, what a worry at such a time.  Thank goodness all is clear.  That table sounds awful though.

Hugs

Millie

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »

Great news Trey - thank you so much for posting.

Taz x

jgr

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »

So pleased for you.  :foryou: x

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »

Brilliant news, so pleased for you.

:foryou:

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »

What a day for that to happen. But a good outcome. Bought back memories of 2 'false' alarms. One when I was real relatively young, neither ultrasound or mammogram gave a clear picture. It took 3 months for them to decide it was 'changed tissue' and not sinister and the second time just after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. Fortunately, they were quick to put my mind at rest this time. I am glad your outcome was ok as well.

Congratulations on your marriage. Enjoy yourselves.

libby1

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

Fab news Trey, sorry you had all that stress but now you can relax and enjoy life with your new husband  ;)

Libby
x

mazzy

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

So glad that you got good new Trey.  Enjoy married life with your new Hubby

:congrats:

lubylou

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

So pleased for you that things are OK, worry is an awfully draining emotion, all over now though  :)

Trey

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »

I haven't decided if I'll ever get another mammogram.  At first I kept telling myself that at least it was caught early and now I wonder if I'll be allergic to the titanium chip or if, if, if,.  In any case I'm grateful our marriage didn't have to start out with this over our heads.  My OH has a patch on his aorta and that is always a back of the mind worry, but for now we'll try to live life as well as possible.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »

I find mammograms so darned painful, maybe it's because of my big boobs.

Enjoy life Trey!

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »

So glad to hear your news Trey.   :foryou:

littleminnie

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »

Glad things turned out ok Trey. Now enjoy your honeymoon.  ::)
Pages: [1] 2