Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: If you reduce estrogen should you use progesterone  (Read 5031 times)

Tingly

If you reduce estrogen should you use progesterone
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »

Wondered if anyone knew--- if you reduce oestrogen from 100 mg to 50 mg , should you reduce the amount of days your on progesterone to match?

Have reduced hrt patch dose and am on 10 day progesterone but am bleeding after day 8 of progesterone
Does this mean 7 days of prog is enough?

Sarah2

Re: If you reduce estrogen should you use progesterone
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »

No it usually means the opposite.
You might be bleeding because you've reduced the dose of oestrogen- this happens to me when I reduce Oestrogel.
But usually progesterone will stop bleeding until about 3 days after the last dose.

Are you using Utrogestan? Again, this happens to me and I bleed on day 10 rather than 2-3 days later. This is because Utrogestan is infamous for being poorly absorbed.

You should have a minimum of 7 days a month but some consultants are happy to prescribe 10-12 days every 2 months.

Tingly

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »

Ooh, fancy that. Thanks sarah
In my mind i had imagined more estrogen , more womb lining so more prog required to disrupt it....just shows what i know!!!

Yes am on utrogestan -the doc only makes me have it for 10 days as am intolerant

Sarah2

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »

I think I've not explained that very clearly.

When you said ' Does this mean 7 days is enough' that's why I said no- because if you are bleeding after 8 days ( when taking it for 10) it means the absorption is low / erratic and you are possibly not getting enough to bring on a complete bleed.

My dr told me that absorption with Utrogestan varies between women and if you don't absorb the same /full amount each dose then you get erratic ( or early) bleeding.

So- although in theory you are right to say low dose oestrogen should mean lower dose progesterone, then you shouldn't half the progesterone to 5 days only because it's likely not to be enough.

However, it depends how much you take- is it 200mgs or 100mgs tablets?

I have the same problem as you- early bleeding on day 10- but this made me think I needed to take more for longer.

Tingly

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »

Oh i see
I'm on utrogestan 200, and still get a full 7 day bleed it just starts when im still taking them, rather than the withdrawal bleed that its supposed to be.

I do see what u /ur doctor means, its just that i thought the exact opposite ....that id taken enough to bring on a bleed
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:39:50 PM by Tingly »

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:01 AM »

From my understanding we only start to bleed when progesterone is withdrawn ( same as would happen in a normal cycle, pre-meno).
So if we bleed when still taking it, that means there is a lower level in the blood stream.

I think 7 days is the minimum recommended and if you aren't having bad side effects then maybe no point fiddling with the dose?

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »

Hi ladies (apologies Sarah 2) I have been hectic and have not had a chance to respond to you..
The usual protocol as far as I know is a bleed a few days after the progesterone cycle ends, which is how its always been with me, exactly 5 days after. I take 100mgs for 12 days per month. Are you ladies using it vaginally, that makes a big difference! I would try that and see if it does not help with the early bleeding, as it is really a more direct method of delivery in this case...
Such a nuisance when bleeds come when they are not expected. I have had a few breakthrough bleeds and agree with Sarah, the moment, I forget my Oestrogel, even for a night, I get a bleed, such a nuisance to balance the ole hormones exactly and to keep the equilibrium.  Keep us posted... x

Tingly

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »

Hi cassie

No i take em orally

Will let u know if anything interesting happens!