Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: POLYCYSTIC OVARIES...  (Read 3282 times)

Cassie

POLYCYSTIC OVARIES...
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »

My daughter has been diagnosed with this recently, after experiencing irregular & painful periods as well as painful ovaries & weight gain.
I feel so down for her, she is desperate to have children some day and has now developed a bit of a phobia about growing body hair and gaining weight. I am trying to help her and to be supportive but google paints a grim picture.. if there is  anyone who has been through this or has family members who have been diagnosed and can add anything, I would be so greatful, feel a bit lost, thankyou... x

Greyhoundgal

Re: POLYCYSTIC OVARIES...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »

One of my previous work colleagues had this so I can understand what your daughter is going through.  She did have a problem with hair growth in unwanted places but she had IPL to remove it and it worked well.  She was also desperate for children and had various tests when nothing happened.  Her husband also had "lazy" sperm so that didn't help either.  But she was given some fertility treatment (tablets I think) and left work when her precious baby daughter was born. :)  She is now due any moment with her 2nd child, conceived with no help at all so there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Make sure your daughter finds out what help is available to her when the time comes and with any luck she will be able to have children herself

Annika

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »

Hi cassie, my daughter was diagnosed with PCOS a little over a year ago and is now under going treatment (she is 21) it seems from what we have since learned that each case is different and not everyone has the exact symptoms as others. We noticed my daughter had the unwanted hair developing when she was around 12 and was always on the chubby side even though my two other children were not. She also went into puberty early and started her period at 10. However it has not been regular and when she does have it its barely there. She uses a website called Soulcysters.com for those with PCOS. Try not to worry and i know that is hard to do but many do go on to have children and every situation is different.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »

Just wanted to send a hug - it's horrible to see our children going through things - we can feel so helpless. The Verity charity is also useful for gathering more information although I am not sure that the forum is working this morning http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk/

Taz x  :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »

I too worked with someone who was diagnosed when she was around 20. She had to watch her weight. Her skin was her main problem though, really depressed her. Really sore looking. However, she is now 30, weight under control & skin greatly improved. I'm not in contact with her much now, so don't know what treatment she got.

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »

Thx ladies, she is ok so far with her weight but has to watch it like a hawk, and touch wood, no excess hair but she does worry about not being able to fall pregnant easily and i guess we just have to cross that bridge when the time comes and hope for the best. x

juliekim

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »

Hi Cassie,

My 23 year old daughter has also just been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries.  She only had one period in the last 12 months and has never been regular.  After doing some research I found out a low GI diet is recommended and also acupuncture works well in balancing hormones. I have spoken to someone who had polycystic ovaries, who had great success with acupuncture and went on to have 2 children naturally.  My daughter had her second treatment of acupuncture this week, so watch this space!! I have found a Chinese acupuncturist who charges £25 a treatment (a local English acupuncturist charges £55!) So maybe you could look into low GI diet and acupuncture and see what you think.

Best wishes,

Julie xx