Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I passed!!  (Read 10185 times)

Dyan

Re: I passed!!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

:congrats: dulciana
Well done!!!

dulciana

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »

Thanks Dyan!
 :thankyou:

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »

I knew as a child I had a voice, but my parents couldn't afford lessons. I have needed lessons in order to learn how to breathe (!) and to produce volume. My friend decided to teach children singing and piano, when she retired from teaching. I persuaded her to teach me and now she has several adult pupils, who have followed in my wake. She is an excellent teacher, able to use language to paint a visual picture in your mind.

I've started on Grade 3. We would have skipped Grade 3, but I have no musical background and need to get a more solid background, eg sight reading. So we've going to take our time, plus my recent asthma problems do hamper singing. I struggle to to take in enough breath, but it is getting better week by week. No Italian songs in the list. I'm working on 'God be in my head'. Very simple on the face of it, in meaning and tune, yet not when you get into it.

Where can you play now you are professional? Do you play in concerts, churches, with choirs? Maybe you will have a chance to play around Britain, then we might get the chance to enjoy your music!

littleminnie

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »

:ola:
We'll Done!!

dulciana

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

Thanks Littleminnie.
 :thankyou:

Ju Ju - your singing lessons and teacher sound fantastic - it sounds just like "right place, right time"!   How interesting that other people have followed your lead, too. 

I'm a great fan of visual pictures, for learning music.  I use it with my own pupils a lot, like yesterday when I asked a little girl to think of kittens playing, to get the character of the piece she was doing!  It worked and she understood what I meant straight away.

That's super that you're doing grade 3 now.  And I'm so glad that it's helping your asthma, too - a real added bonus.   Which "God Be In My Head" are you doing - the Walford Davies, or the John Rutter?  Each of them is beautiful, I think.
Sight-reading seems to be an occupational hazard of all music exams!   :sigh:  Still, I try to make myself remember that somebody at some point was inspired to write this music!

I play regularly at a church in Edinburgh, which includes accompanying our choir every week and choosing something nice to play at the end of each service.  I'm getting very excited just now because renovation work on our lovely organ is just about to be completed.  As part of the celebrations, I'll be doing a recital in September, which I'm looking forward to with a mixture of anticipation and butterflies in my stomach!  We're also doing a choir-and-organ concert in the autumn and we're having a visiting recitalist in the summer.   Can't wait!

And I've heard that having the qualification I've just got will improve my chances of being able to play on other organs around the place.   So I may be down in your neck of the woods at some time! 

I do hope you go on enjoying your singing lessons and wish you all the best preparing for grade 3!

Dulciana
x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:25:03 PM by dulciana »

Ju Ju

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »

How exciting! Unfortunately, I live in the south of England, so it's unlikely whether I would be coming your way in September, but you never know! If you get the chance to play nearer let me know.

We've chosen the Walford Davies version of 'God be in my head'. It is one of the few hymns remembered from school that wasn't murdered in my memory. My voice isn't particularly loud at the moment, so putting light and shade into the performance is a challenge, but I'll get there. I'm also singing 'Early one morning' unaccompanied, and 'Wouldn't it be loverly' from My Fair Lady, both of which I already know well. We have yet to decide on the 4th song.

dulciana

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »

Lovely choices and lovely contrasts, Ju Ju!  You must have a great range.  Early One Morning unaccompanied - gosh, hats off to you!  And I love "Wouldn't it be Loverly"!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »

:congrats:

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »

Just caught up with this dulciana and many congrats from me too! :congrats:

Hurdity x

dulciana

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »