Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Acupuncture for menopause?!  (Read 3796 times)

tearful1

Acupuncture for menopause?!
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »

Has anyone tried acupuncture for menopause symptoms (mainly depression) and did it work?

osieb

Re: Acupuncture for menopause?!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:19:12 AM »

Hi tearful1 I had acupuncture a couple of years ago for my symptoms and although it worked a bit it wasn't as good as I thought. I also tried their herbs which you make into a drink. They were not very pleasant tasting but I think they helped a bit. I think you should give it a go because I am a firm believer in acupuncture for a lot of things and if it helps then hopefully you will be feeling better. Good luck, Rosie x

tearful1

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »

Thanks Rosie, I think I will, trying so hard not to use HRT or anti depressants, would prefer a natural remedy. Thank you

Suzyq

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »

Hi tearful1

I did try acupuncture and although it made me a bit more relaxed, it did not help - sorry! If you are suffering please do not be scared to try medication, whether it is hrt or ad's. They both have their place. I have to take insulin and bp Meds- I do not have a choice! Medicines are designed to help, not to make us feel worse or harm us. Please do not over focus on risks - life is too short

tearful1

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »

Thanks Suzyg I guess I tend to read all the literature that comes with medication & panic! Thanks for your advice & sharing your acupuncture experience

Suzyq

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »

Me too! And I had quite bad anxiety with peri so that made me worse. I have been on gel for 9 weeks now - haven't died! My anxiety is practically gone and that was something I'd struggled with for a couple of years.... Only you will know when your symptoms are bad enough to take he plunge, but I bitterly regret waiting and suffering for far too long. Incidentally I tried cbt (was okay but didn't relieve symptoms fully) and hypnosis too - you name it, I've tried it!

tearful1

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

Thanks Suzyg, who'd be a woman eh?!

osieb

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »

Hi tearful1 I have just been to see my acupuncturist about my back and fibroids and I asked her about acupuncture for depression in menopause and she said they have had really good results in agitation depression in menopausal women. Apparently menopausal women can get what's called agitated depression because they don't cope with stress so well during the menopause. I don't know if this fits you or not but I thought I would let you know. Hope you are feeling a bit better today and hope this helps. Rosie x

tearful1

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »

Thanks so much Rosie. That sounds great, I will give it a try, thanks for your help