Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Total Hysterectomy and the menopause  (Read 5077 times)

happydays

Total Hysterectomy and the menopause
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

Hello everyone this is my first post and I am looking for a little advice.

I am 51 this week.
I had not started the menopause
I had a total hysterectomy five weeks ago, had everything removed.

I have read that if you have a total hysterectomy you go into surgical hysterectomy almost immediately.
I had my hysterectomy five weeks ago and have not had any systems yet.
Is this normal can it take some time to start with symptons of the menopause or am I just lucky and am not getting any symptons.  Or are the symptons suddenly going to hit me.
Anyone else experienced this.
Many thanks.  :)

Joyce

Re: Total Hysterectomy and the menopause
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »

Hi, I had ovaries left during my hysterectomy many moons ago. Flushes started justva few weeks later. Ovaries removed 10 years later.

Look around lots of helpful advice & many ladies to offer advice & support.

Forgetful

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

Hello

I had a hysterectomy in 2006 aged 44 and my ovaries removed in 2007 aged 45. I took HRT for six months but had to stop them as I had endometriosis I had to take the combined HRT with progestogen in it and could not get on with the PMT feeling constantly. The hot flushes started after I stopped the HRT and I still get them now though not as often as I did at first.  It takes a few weeks for your body to use up its stores of estrogen so you probably still have some stored at the moment.

Best wishes

Forgetful

mamakaren

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

Hi Happydays,  :welcomemm:

I had a total hysterectomy last year. My meno symptoms started about 1 week after my surgery and have gotten progressively worse!  :( i think it's different for everyone. I hope you are one of the lucky ones!!!

Karen

paisley

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »

Hi I had full hysterectomy and my symptoms started straight away but I was peri menopausal before op.

KatieLiz

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »

I have a friend with similar experience at a similar age but I have warned her to look out for starting to feel, either a bit more emotional or tearful or more tired etc.  It may not happen straight away because everyone is different but when things start to get on top of you, then it could be hormone related and maybe that is the time to see your GP and maybe start HRT. 

I think just to be aware that things may change even though you feel ok at the moment.  Just keep monitoring how you feel but please don't hesitate to see your GP if you start to feel 'not right'.

I haven't had a hysterectomy but have been taking HRT for a couple of years.  It has kept me 'normal' and 'myself' and I really believe HRT can make a real difference to your quality of life.  So if, in the future, things don't feel right, then don't hesitate to give HRT a try, even if only for 3 months!

happydays

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »

Many thanks for the replies.   :)

smudgy14

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »

Hiya happydays and welcome ,I had full hysterectomy end of may last year I didn't have to may symptoms to begin with then flushes arrived with a bang (I am 50 this year ),since then I have had sweats,mood swings,nausea,feeling anxious and very weepy,I get confused and what in my head sometimes doesn't come out right from  my mouth and am forgetful.Now that I have sent you running for the hills :-) being on this site has been a godsend, someone always knows how you are feeling and never make you feel daft if you say what you experiencing ,it helps to know you are not alone, so I hope you find it a help .Take care of yourself and will keep fingers crossed you be lucky with your menopause and not be to bad.

happydays

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »

Hi Smudgy, Did you take hrt or anything else to help.  Are you still feeling as bad or is it getting better.  I don´t go for my check up at the hospital for a couple of more weeks yet.  I am 51 tomorrow if I get symptons should I take hrt or is it ok not to take it at my age.  I don´t really like taking medication as there is always a downside to most things i.e. side effects.  I hope you are feeling better now.   :)