Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hospital appointment re asthma  (Read 5778 times)

Ju Ju

Hospital appointment re asthma
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »

I feel I wasted my time seeing a consultant for respiratory medicine this morning. To cut a long story short, told to carry on as I have been doing before an emergency stay in hospital. No interest in the fact that Salbutamol / Ventolin no longer provides any relief as proved by a spirometer test. No advice on how to manage asthma better. Thank goodness for the GP I have been seeing. The consultant looked at recent blood test results, hesitated, then said they were fine, while the GP is concerned at some of the levels. Maybe because she is looking at my overall health, rather than just asthma. Ah well on onwards and upwards. Just keep those snotty noses and weird viruses away from me! Good to have a moan!

Joyce

Re: Hospital appointment re asthma
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »

Have you got an asthma nurse at your surgery at all? I find one at my surgery is more up in these things than GP. In fact GP recommends seeing her with anything asthma related.

I have Seretide as a preventer. It's a combination of brown inhaler & a green one. Brown one wasn't helping, so they added green one. But it was decided I would benefit more from a combined one. Although I believe Seretide is being withdrawn in the coming months to be replaced with something more effective.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »

The Consultant may not have been aware of why you were there  :-\ ……….. you could have a chat with a Pharmacist in 'Lloyds' chemist, they have private rooms these days  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »

I have Seretide 125 for when I'm ok. Was given Seretide 250 temporally when I wasn't getting better after coming out of hospital. As ventolin is no longer affective, I was given Actrovent as an alternative reliever inhaler, which helps but does not give the quick relief that Ventolin used to give. Interesting about Seretide being withdrawn . Will watch with interest. I wanted help to manage the asthma when I have a virus, but he had no advice to give. Just to get help if I need it. I see the asthma nurse every year. I'm worried about catching another virus, but perhaps I'll feel more confident once I manage to get through one. I have found through the years that many doctors assume all is well if they can't hear a wheeze. I tend to feel restricted breathing like a tight band or my breathing tubes are being squeezed. Peak flow readings reflect this as does the spirometer tests.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »

It was asthma nurse who told me. For the life of me can't remember what is to replace it. She said I'd get a recall to discuss it nearer the time. Can't find anything on it as to the reason.

Mine is seretide 125. They are trying to reduce my dosage, though up until recently nobody had suggested this. I was on 2 puffs twice a day, but this is classed as too high when symptom free. Nobody told me this. So now on 1 puff am & 2 puffs pm. Peak flow is pretty good for someone my age apparently.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »

That's my dose, but I'm not symptom free. GP said I could increase if need be, but that didn't help when all these problems started. My peak flow is not brilliant and lower than my best at the moment, but hopefully will improve. I went for nearly 20 years reasonably symptom free for most of the time. I have been able to start singing again, but have had had to add extra breathing opportunities as I run out of puff. No exam in the near future, so doesn't matter.

My son was telling me of a new treatment being trialled in the USA. He's training to be a paramedic there. Apparently, they heat up your lungs and then there is no need for medication for quite a long period of time. This treatment has enabled women normally in need of strong medication to be able to become pregnant, without risk to the foetus. It's not covered by medical insurance yet. One to watch?

Joyce

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:46:08 AM »

Thanks for the link.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »

Of course you need coping skills before the virus hits  ::) ....... I would give the asthma nurse a ring for a chat!  Once a year indeed  :bang:

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »

I see the GP next week, following more blood tests and this appointment. Funny that the consultant looked at the recent results and said they were ok, while my GP is concerned. Maybe cos they show that I have had an infection, but are improving, the GP is concerned cos things weren't right before the asthma problems. It's good to have a doctor who cares.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »

Awful that they don't seem to be on the same wave lengths  ::)