Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: What hrt would be advisable  (Read 3475 times)

Rosey4

What hrt would be advisable
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

I wander if anyone can give me some good advice on what hrt prep would be best for me? i had the marina for 5 years to help with heavy painful periods i got it removed in September, i didn't get another one in. I had no hrt for 3 months, as i had premarin for 3 years as well  due to hot flushes ect ect Then the doctor gave me elleste duet which gave me back periods and painful ones at that, so i did not finish my last pack, spoken to the doctor and iv to go to see her a week on Monday to change the hrt to a conti one. (she doesn't no i stopped the tablets because she told me to finish them) She said the gyno said that it should be ok to go on conti hrt but had to finish this pack of eelste duet. But i am thinking how can that be okay, when i don't know when my last natural period was??? due to marina. i had a show in August before the marina was taken out i  I am confused what hrt??? I took elleste duet for 2 months and a week. I couldn't stand the painful heavy bleeds and didn't want to face another at the end of the month again. would it be okay to take conti hrt even if i am not sure where i am at? :-\ confused

honeybun

Re: What hrt would be advisable
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »

How old are you Rosey ?

My GP put me onto a conti HRT patch when I was nearly 52. Like you I did not have a clue whether I would still be having natural periods or not as they had stopped for seven months before I went on my first HRT which was a sequi one.

I was unsure whether being on a conti HRT was the right thing at my age so I emailed Dr Currie and she assured me it was fine.
I did find that I had spotting and a bit of cramp off and on for about six months which is not unusual.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »

As far as I understand if you are put onto HRT before you are 54 and before you have been one year without periods then at age 54 you can be changed to conti HRT because most women will have more or less reached menopause by this age.

This is what Dr Currie says on this site:
"Period free" or continuous combined therapy can be used by women who are 54 + yrs, or more than 1 yr post menopausal at any age.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

If you are under 54 then according to this you would need to wait a year to see if you had another period - but if you don't want to do this, then a cyclical preparation is usually advised.

In some cases - like honeybun - she was put onto a conti HRT before age 54.This can lead to more irregular bleeding than expected - but only if you are not yet post-menopausal.

It sounds like your doc is happy for you to try a conti HRT though from what you say?

The other alternative is just to have another Mirena put in, if this suited you and then take oestrogen only HRT eg Elleste or whatever type you prefer.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »

I am almost positive if I had waited just a few months more when my period stopped I would have gone over the year period free. It was the second time it had happened and my periods had tailed off to almost nothing before stopping completely.
When I did stop my HRT for a couple of months I had no sign of a bleed.

After being on the sequi for a couple of years I started getting cramping and spotting throughout the whole month and to be honest I was miserable. My GP thought this was the right course of treatment for me and she was right.

Although there are guide lines none are written in stone.

Honeyb
x

Rosey4

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »

I would like to thank you for getting back to me with your advice it has helped me , to understand what effect contin hrt can have if i am not post meno i am 51 and not sure. i would of taken seq if the period was not painfull or heavy i have read that you can take seq and have a withdrawal bleed every 3 months too?? i am going back to the docter next Monday to discuss this with her i may opt for another marina and estrogen if the hrt fails me but i have to get it put in at the hospital because the neck of my womb hasn't experienced child birth so it would be best for me, And i dont want to go back in to hospital for a general What a pa lava!! >:( i wish now i just got another marina when i got this one removed but i didn't, so here i am. I will let you all no how i get on and thank you so much for your reply s  :-*

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:24 AM »

What about trying the gel or a patch and the Utrogestan, you can use it as a conti hrt by taking 100mg of Utro daily for 25 days...

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »

The 3 month HRT is Tridestra - but it doesn't seem to be prescribed commonly. From what I remember of women having posted about it in the past, the bleed can be quite heavy after 3 months, but the oestrogen only time must be good. There is more chance also of oestrogen breakthrough bleeding before the 3 months is up and that depends on how your uteruis responds to the HRT, whether you may have small fibroids etc Also if your own cycle is still active you may also get bleeds at the wrong time.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php  Scroll down to end of tablets

Hurdity x