Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: cant take anymore feeling down prior to a period  (Read 3743 times)

cherub0308

cant take anymore feeling down prior to a period
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »

Hi I am new to this site. Over the last few years my symptoms prior to a period have got worse. I have been on anti depressants for five years as i have always suffered with PMS. I am either anxious drained or depressed or having hot sweats. I am 46 and I am on venlafxine 112mg for the depression and emotion. The last time I was down I was suicidal. I can't take any more of feeling unhappy. I also have fibroids and a merina coil for the heavy bleeding  I had  a fsh blood test which has cone back borderline. I have an appointment to have this explained. Any advice would be very much appreciated.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: cant take anymore feeling down prior to a period
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »

Have a huge  :hug:  PMT is awful. How is your diet?

I ask because eating every 3 hours can help.  Keeping blood sugar levels even is important.  Have a look at the NAPS site.  They told me to eat carbohydrate every 3 hours throughout 24 hours.  At the time I had a puppy who needed out at 3.00 a.m.  ::) so I had biscuits to eat before I went back to sleep.  She soon learned where the biscuits were  ;). I carried ham or cheese sandwiches everywhere, if we went to visit family I took my own foods because they could never be relied upon to eat at the times I needed to!   

Slow release foods can help, i.e. porridge, bananas; I used packets of dried fruits and nuts as a stand by.  I learned to eat *before* my gut was hungry so that it stopped that awful nausea and anxiety surge.  It took months before I realised that I had to eat every3 hours - because when I felt better I forgot  >:(

How is your thyroid function?  Also your iron count, being anaemic can be tiring.  I remember that sudden crashing fatigue during the cycle …………

Hormone blood tests can be unreliable so go by your symptoms.  Have a read of the menus, left of screen and browse round.  Anxiety can be eased by a beta-blocks or short-term Valium; yoga; swimming; walking.

cherub0308

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thank u for all your info and hug :) I will take it on board and make sure I eat every three hours. I have heard of that before but have just tended to eat when hungry. Just this week I have started feeling nauseous. Wasn't sure if hormonal or  because I am taking an extra a d. I had a full check about a year ago re thyroid and iron count. I have been anaemia in the past due to heavy periods and after the birth of my second daughter I had a blood transfusion.

Many thanks again and a big hug to u too.  :)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »

Hi Cherub

You will find lots of help, advice and friendship on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Suzyq

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:02:35 AM »

Hi cherub. I had this for a few years before my estrogen disappeared. I was sure I had pmdd but in actual fact I had virtually zero progesterone and once I started taking this for the two weeks before menstruation, my symptoms improved dramatically. If your estrogen is also low, then it may be time for full hrt but I managed for a year with just progesterone. Good luck and welcome

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »

15 years on I still try to eat before I feel hungry to stop those awful feelings !

cherub0308

thanks for my welcome
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »

Hi u lovely ladies. Thank u for my welcome to this forum. I dont feel so alone anymore. I went back to yoga last night slept like a log and felt so much better toda.y.  I. had,energy and felt  my happy self, which i havent been for a long time.

I  have also. been prescrbed some estrogen to taike for three months as anti depressants were not helping.

Feeling nauseous though tonight  and terrible headache  :(

mamakaren

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »

It seems like anti-depressants are often prescribed to menopausal woman who might be better off with HRT! I'm in that situation myself except my meno was surgically induced! Frustrates me to no end!

:welcomemm:

Karen

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »

When you have energy the important thing is not to do TOO MUCH because you will burn off the energy that your body is desperately trying to build up ......... little steps  ;)

I'm nauseous this morning - probably haven't eaten enough this week  :-\