Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen and aches and pains  (Read 3572 times)

SilverFairy

Oestrogen and aches and pains
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »

I have had a weak back for many years but recently when adding in a oestrogen cream to my HRT regime within a week I had painful muscles (as if I had pulled them) at the base of my spine, aches and pains in my arms and really bad pains in the backs of my hands. Could this have been caused by too much oestrogen?
Thank you.

Joyce

Re: Oestrogen and aches and pains
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »

I'm on oestrogen only & have suffered with a bad back, but doesn't seem to have been made worse by HRT.

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »

When you say cream do you mean for vaginal use, or do you mean as part of HRT- Oestrogel?

It's not likely to be either. Vaginal oestrogen is hardly absorbed at all into the system.

SilverFairy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:55 PM »

I was on Gynest. It has definately affected something. Within a very short while my thyroid levels (which are quite stable) changed and I became more hypo. So either my hypo ness (due to the oestrogen) has caused the pains  or too much oestrogen in itself. Nothing else was different  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:50 PM »

Hi Silverfairy

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains.

You say you are on an HRT regime and wondered what type this is? I presume you were given Gynest cream due to vaginal symptoms which occurred even while on HRT ( this happened for several of us when post-meno).

Gynest cream is a very very weak oestrogen known as estriol. There is very little systemic absorption of vaginal estrogens and particualarly after the two week "loading" period - when you use the product every night for a fortnight. I would be very surprised if you would experience noticeable side effects from estriol cream but if you do then they would subside after two weeks.

This dose of vaginal cream will not be giving you too much oestrogen.

Most women find that aches and pains improve with oestrogen (and/or thyroid medication if they have an underactive thyroid). Do you take thyroid medication? I have read recently that oral HRT can affect the amount of available thyroxine in the blood ( but transdermal HRT does not) so could it be something to do with this if you are on tablet HRT?

Hurdity x

SilverFairy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »

I am on Femseven Conti patches and Gynest.