Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: vitamins and Supplements  (Read 14720 times)

Dancinggirl

vitamins and Supplements
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »

Hi all
I just want to tell you why I am such a big believer in Omega oils and vitamin D. 
I apologise in advance if I am preaching - I just want to share!!!
My son has a Primary Language disorder, Semantic/ Pragmatic disorder, which puts him within in the Autistic Spectrum - this meant that his language didn't develop properly (he has problems understanding and using language) and this has impaired his learning and social skills. 
12 years ago i attended a conference by the charity AFASIC which supports children with communication difficulties. One of the speakers was a scientist from Oxford or Cambridge(can't remember which).  She and her team had revisited some very old research that had been done in America looking at the benefits of fish oils.  What I remember her telling us was that this early research had looked at children who were not developing well and noticed they often had very dry skin (amongst other problems) and introduced big doses of fish oils into their diet.  For some reason the benefits shown from this trial didn't go forward, probably because there were no financial benefits for drug companies in this type of research.
Anyway, this oxbridge team had redone some trials which involved splitting a class of children into 2 groups and giving one half Omega oil supplements and the other a placebo. Very quickly it emerged that the children on the omega oils had improved concentration, were sleeping better, behaviour improved and skin dryness reduced etc.. The parents of the children on the placebo quickly demanded to have their children on this magic substance.
I immediately went home and put the entire family on Omega oils. My son was definitely less anxious, slept better and, I know, progressed in he is learning more positively.  However the biggest surprise was my daughter, who lacked concentration and was slightly dyslexic, made a very marked improvement. 
Since then, Omega oils have become the norm - often added to all kinds of foods and the benefits for all ages and ailments have been proved. Yes, you can get Omega oils from various food sources but it is often difficult to get enough.
My other vitamin passion is Vitamin D. 4 years ago I was teaching a dance class for adults and I had 2 GPs who attended my class.  After one class, a discussion emerged about feeling really tired all the time and both GPs told us that following a research paper they read in the BMJ they now prescribed Vitamin D as a first line treatment for fatigue.  They often had patients who came in, particularly in winter, complaining about constant fatigue and, when they did tests, these patients were deficient in Vit D!!  The only really good source of Vitamin D is sunlight and the constant use of sunscreens means many of us are getting little or no Vit D absorption! We need 15-20mins of direct sunshine, without sunblock, each day to get our Vit D dose.
I do worry about the premise that you can get everything you need from a sensible diet as we know that, particularly in winter, many food stuffs are far from fresh. The way we store and cook our food has a major impact on the nutritional value of many foods.  In fact, frozen vegetables often have more nutrients than those bought from the fresh veg areas in shops.
I have tried a vast array of herbal & homeopathic remedies for menopause and other conditions with absolutely no benefit but I do believe the right supplements can help our body help itself. Through episodes of extreme stress this is particularly important.
I do worry about the nutritionist that charges and uses some, highly questionable, diagnosis techniques. Common sense should prevail.  There is some good information out there and balance is the key word.
I know the foods that upset me and I know I don't necessarily eat everything I should (I'm a fussy eater) but I try to be sensible.   As we get older we must eat less or the pounds will pile on.  The discipline of taking exercise is very difficult, having a dog that makes you walk is very helpful but not everyone can keep a dog. 
We shouldn't obsess, just try to get the balance right.
This forum is such a wonderful way to support each other - I am learning so much.  DG x

Rowan

Re: vitamins and Supplements
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »

Great post DG and I agree with what you have written.

Have you heard  of Lorenzo's oil  http://www.myelin.org/lorenzosoil/lorenzosoiltheoil.html I first read about in years ago and they made a film. 
about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo's_Oil

I think the man has died now but lived over 20 years more then expected.

Conventional medicine does not always work, there are a few conditions that are controlled by a diet manly consisting of Oils in children.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:56:44 PM by silverlady »

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »

I am another mother who can confirm that Omega oil helped my dyslexic son. He is nearly 25 and still takes it every day.

I also agree with the fact that it is difficult to get the right balance of vitamins and minerals from food alone especially as DG says in the winter time.
When my son was young my sister gave me an old copy of her Dr Spock baby book. Her kids were much older than mine so the book was a bit dated. One thing that he promoted was what he called sun baths for babies. You were to give your child a short unprotected dose of sun every day that you could. I did this with both of mine. They never burned as I was very careful but I had well tanned children who benefited from this. I watch my niece slather her kids from top to toe in total sun block. Sometimes the old ways have benefit to them.

It's also difficult for some families to make sure that their kids have a really good balanced diet as money is tight.

Vitamins and supplements very much have their place today.

Honeyb
x

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »

My son has been taking fish oil since he was 5 for dyspraxia.
He does seem to be improved from when he was first diagnosed.

paisley

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »

Totally agree with the fish oil. When I stop it I really notice a difference. It has been proved again and again on it's many benefits.

Morwenna

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »

Which Omega/Fish oil do you all recommend then? There are so many different brands and strengths on the market. I wouldn't know where to start  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »

I use the Seven Seas one. I always have although as you say there is a lot of choice.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »

There are many different sources of Omegas oils.  The latest is Krill Oil which is expensive but is highly concentrated.  Fish, flaxseed, Starflower and even olive oil are sources of Omega oils - I may have missed some but you can probably google Omegas oils and get more specific details. 
For many years I used EyeQ because only very pure fish oils are used - it is rather expensive though.  There are some concerns about pollutants/toxins getting through via the fish - I think this related to the cheaper Cod Liver Oil supplements. At the moment I am taking the Holland and Barrett Triple Omega 3.6.9. as it has Flaxseed and Starflower alongside the fish oils so hopefully has a good balance. I feel they working fine for me.
DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »

Interesting post. I do take vit d3, but my gp wants my levels checked as I continue to to be so tired. Omega 3 sounds like a good idea too.

On a bit of a digression, if you have a dyslexic child, consider them learning to play drums, if they are interested. I found my son's literacy skills improved, as he was using different parts of the brain. Obviously, noise is an issue, but he used drum pads and found he could practice for 15 mins at a time as it was exhausting.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »

I found sport to be very helpful for my son. It improved co ordination. He played golf, badminton ,tennis and table tennis. We discovered we had a badminton star and he ended up playing in county championships. Not only did it help school performance it made a very competitive child  :)
It's difficult to stand out at school for being different. Sport gave him the opportunity to shine.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »

Horse riding, archery and swimming are good sports to encourage talent too

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »

My son shone with music, but he left school with few qualifications. He gave up at school, but he is soon to graduate as a paramedic. Don't despair if they don't thrive at school, as long as they leave school believing they can.

Right to vitamins!

lubylou

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

I take vitamin D via fish oils omaga oil capsules but have been told by neurologist that the best source of vit D is sunlight so I try and get at least 20 on my forearm in the winter months when the sun is shining even if it is freezing cold. I was told it is best thing for a healthy nervous system functioning so what you say Dancinggirl makes perfect sense. Natural sunlight absorbs the vit D better then a supplement will (so I was told)
Lubylou

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »

Vitamin D takes from the sun can be washed off the skin after exposure.

http://www.vitamindlinks.co.uk/vitamin-d-sources.html

paisley

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »

I don't know if I am right but I have read that it is the EPA and DHA in the omegas which are very important especially the EPA for proper brain function and we need a good amount of these in the fish oil to make a difference to our brains and everything else.
Pages: [1] 2 3