Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fake food scandal!  (Read 15523 times)

Joyce

Re: Fake food scandal!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »

Ah French toast, but never added milk to it, at least not the way I was taught. Used to be our daughter's favourite Friday night tea after dancing classes. Might make some for my lunch tomorrow.

oldsheep

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »

Just don't try French toast with gluten free bread  ::)  more like French toast crumbs!

We were forced to do domestic science until we were 15 at my school. Taught (if that's the word) by a dreadful, vindictive and idiotic witch by the name of Mrs Goldfinch. She once held up my sewing efforts for the whole class to laugh at. Her idea of teaching was for us to memorise and be tested on whether cooking utensils should be washed in " warm soapy water" or "hot soapy water". No wonder none of us learned anything!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »

Hot soapy water every time  ;) same with laundry - none of this cold wash as the powder sticks and causes maintenance problems ........

Scampi

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »

I did cooking at school, but by the time we were allowed to use a cooker (about the age of 10), my Mum and Grandma had taught me to cook and I could do a full roast (with a little help getting the hot roasting tin out of the oven - it was too heavy for me to do it safely at that age!).  I used to get into trouble in school cooking lessons for doing things my own way instead of how the teacher said it should be done!!

My daughter (now 21) did 'technology' at school - in a 7-week half term they had to 'design and make a chilled layer dessert'!  That was it!!  They spent 4 weeks 'researching', 2 weeks making their dessert (which was basically crushed biscuits, yoghurt and fruit in a pot) and the 7th week 'evaluating'!!!  That was the sum of her 'cooking' lessons at school for that year!!  The following year they did actually cook a few things - she, like me, regularly got told off for doing it her own way (in particular, not using salt, as we don't use it at home).  Lady P can cook and bake anything she turns her hand to, having spent her whole life watching and helping me and her grandma cook meals from scratch.
Pages: 1 2 [3]