Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fake food scandal!  (Read 15524 times)

Taz2

Re: Fake food scandal!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »

Mine were all taught how to cook using fresh ingredients but they use the argument as to why they should buy whole potatoes, raw carrots etc. and then peel and cook them when they can pick up some already done (M&S) and just put them in the oven when they finally get home from work at around 7.30. Of course if they had partners that might be different...

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »

It's just so expensive Taz although I understand why they do it. It only takes five minutes to prepare veg.
When my son was living away from home with a girlfriend he was the one who did most of the cooking. His girlfriend had no interest in cooking. She loved to eat though  ::) All she could cook was chicken breasts and heat up frozen food. Her mother never taught her any cooking skills at all. That surprised me as I thought it was just a basic skill that you past to both sons and daughter's. I think I always made a point of teaching my son because I did not want to pass on a man that was handless  ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

My first cookery lesson was how to make toast ……….. then we were taught what to cook to go with it ……. eggs, bacon, cheese on toast ; one week we would be taught the next we took the ingredients and a tin to put our attempts into to take home.  Sadly the boys used to mug my tin  :'( it was bullying really and I would have hardly anything left when I got back.  Mum never did anything about it though  :( ……… I loved making cheese straws  ;D

DH and his Dad used to cook together.  D in L was in Prisoner of War Camp so had to cook to survive and the skills were passed to the lads.  Me - can't be bothered and if I lived alone I would be the old lady buying ready prepared veg in the mixed packs to go with fresh chops from the butchers  ;D

bramble

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »

I was never taught to cook by the school or my Mum. Left home at 16 and just had to get on with it. I love cooking and cook the majority of my food from scratch even living on my own. The number of my friends who have said ' I would never bother to cook for myself if I was on my own'................... I cook and bake just for me. Have a takeaway maybe once every 2 months as a treat. I don't always cook meat and 2 veg - sometimes a lazy tea of home made soup and a sandwich or pate with crusty bread and a salad, does the trick.
Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »

Cooking just for yourself is so rewarding - it shows that you have a strong sense of your own worth without having to rely on caring for others to make you feel whole. Also, when you are on your own, if you don't look after you, then who will!!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »

All the schools I went to after 11 years taught Domestic Science, needlework and cookery, and my mum taught me my brothers and sister at home.

I wonder if its still taught in schools now.

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

It's taught under the umbrella subject of Technology SL

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »

Poorly taught in my opinion.

I actually was speaking to my mother about cooking things. She was asking about my daughter who lives in uni halls in the week and hone at weekend's. I was telling mum that her grand daughter loves French toast. There was a bit of a silence as she tried to remember what it was. With a bit of gentle prompting we got there but she could not remember what it tasted like although she remembered that she had liked it. She taught me and I taught my daughter. I just found it quite sad that she has forgotten  :-\

She can't remember how to cook anymore.

She was a great cook in her day and like most of her generation could make a tasty meal out of not a lot. A lost skill I think.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »

I've never known what 'french toast' is  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »

You can have sweet or savoury french toast.  Whisk up an egg or two in a large bowl and add a splash of milk. Heat up a frying pan with a little butter and oil. Dip a slice of white bread in the eggy milk and pop into hot frying pan. Cook a couple of mins on either side until crisp and puffy. Great with bacon and tomatoes or beans. If you want sweet rather than savoury then add some sugar.

Lovely.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »

Without the egg that's fried bread  ::)     â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦.. I thought French toast was bread only toasted on 1 side  :-\

oh looked up the recipe - thanks, looks tasty but would miss the maple syrup ……… Golden syrup perhaps  :-*

Makes a good mid-afternoon snack ……….
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:53:28 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »

Learnt how to iron a handkerchief, but got into trouble because I did back to front. I also learnt how to wash my brush and comb. What this has to do with cookery still confuses me. The teachers name was mrs bean! I hated cookery, until we cooked Christmas cakes. I have to avoid most processed foods, as I have IBS and some food intolerances. Forced to eat healthily!

Rowan

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »

Don't forget the cinnamon HB and brown sugar  :)

honeybun

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »

I like savoury french toast best. Makes a lovely lunch/brunch. With some crispy bacon.....yummy.

I remember my sister getting into terrible trouble in home economics. She threw away what she thought was dirty water. Turns out it was the stock for the whole class to make homemade soup from.  ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 09:17:43 PM »

;D  I did exactly the same when first married, poured away the veg water saying 'this would make good gravy'  :o ……..
Pages: 1 [2] 3