Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Calf pain  (Read 14038 times)

anonymous

Calf pain
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »

Woke me up. Wasn't sure at first if it was cramp building up or what. Never came to cramp but pain still there in calf down from back of my knee.
Just started third month of Prempak C 0.625mg/0.15 mg.
I know DVT can occur but don't know really what to look for. It could of course just be lingering cramp.
I've just taken 2 Anadin for the pain but it also has Aspirin in it just in case. Am I being neurotic or just need more salt for cramp. Anyone else get these calf pains that wake them up?

Sarah2

Re: Calf pain
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »

Oestrogen can give you cramp. Leg cramps are a known side effect. I would try not to worry. I often get cramp in my toes or calves ( occasionally at night). I used to often get cramp in my feet even without HRT.
DVT is usually accompanied by redness, hot and possibly tight skin, pain and swelling or aching.
There is some evidence that taking a magnesium supplement can help cramp.

HOWEVER if it doesn't go away in a couple of days go and see your dr to make sure all's ok.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:09:42 AM by Sarah2 »

Anjia

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »

I have in the last two weeks had my HRT upped from 1mg to 2mg ellesste solo and since been having bad leg cramps in my calfs at night .I think it is a side affect so try not to worry .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »

Is it cramping where the calf/toes are involved or calf pain.  ANY calf pain should be reported to a Doctor if we are taking medication.  Cramp can be caused because we don't eat enough salt.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »

Hi Anonymous - usually a DVT causes intense pain plus a really hot feeling over the area. I don't mean warm to the touch but really burning. You may have vomiting and a fever too. If the leg is not swollen or hot to touch then I would think it is just the after effects of cramp. More details here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Deep-vein-thrombosis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Taz x

anonymous

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »

Thanks ladies. No heat or redness. I hate going to the doctor so I'm glad it's not necessary.
I think I have to make an appointment for a couple of weeks time to order the next batch. If it's still bothering me I will mention it then.
Again, thanks for your help.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »

Up your salt intake in the mean time but if you are in pain by Monday ring your surgery!

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »

Em I know this may seem odd but ever thought ya just got CRAMP?
Im only on Vagifem and I find now at 60 in June my calves kill me
Where 2 years ago I walked 12 kls a week now Im hard pushed to walk 100yds with out my calves screaming ACHING so Im going to start re walking slowly again
If oyu see GP and he says its OK then  up salt walk slowly but reg wich I stopped doing x

Badga

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »

I have had a DVT, before I went on HRT I might add.  The pain was there all of the time, not just at night.  It felt like a pulled muscle (I run) and made me limp.  It wasn't hot over the area, or red as it can be with DVT, but my calf was bigger than the other leg.  Please go and see your GP if you are worried. 

Xx

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »

Suzi - I don't want to worry you but the symptoms you describe are not normal just because you are older. If the pain in your calves starts after you have been walking for a while and goes away when you stop walking then it could be something called claudication. This is where you are not getting enough oxygenated blood to your leg muscles. You should get it checked out Suzi. My mum had this.

Taz xx

Sarah2

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »

I agree with you Taz.
Age is not connected with walking distances - well, not at 60 anyway!

I also think that the advice to increase salt is a bit dodgy- cramp due to low sodium/potassium can hit you in extreme circumstances, such as if you are in a very hot climate and sweat a lot, or have severe tummy bug and lose fluids/salt.
But salt is implicated in high blood pressure and it's highly unlikely that you are lacking salt in your diet. The upper daily consumption should be no more than 5-6gms- a few slices of bread can give you this amount, and salt is in most foods- cheese is high in salt-  even if you don't add it to your food or when cooking.

You should not increase salt without good medical advice as it can raise blood pressure.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:07:37 PM by Sarah2 »

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

I agree with Sarah about increasing salt.

Some useful info about cramps here http://www.patient.co.uk/health/cramps-in-the-leg.  They too mention the cramping on walking http://www.patient.co.uk/health/peripheral-arterial-disease-in-legs

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »

Cramp is the first sign of a lack of salt  >:( ………… well known before it was discovered that too much can cause blood pressure problems.  Grandma used to tell us to 'eat more salt' when we had cramp in our extremities, that was in the early 1960s.  When M in L was given a diuretic she got intense cramp and was unable to get out of bed due to feeling dizzy and fainting whilst laying down - it was a lack of SALT! but the GP never did any tests.

DH and I encouraged her to add more salt to her diet and with 10 days she was feeling much better.

Sarah2

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »

I've known people get cramp through lack of salt but they were either athletes, or suffering from dehydration due to severe tummy bugs.

Leg cramp is a known side effect of oestrogen/ HRT. I have more cramp pain now than I ever had pre-HRT. But it's fleeting and lasts no longer than a couple of minutes and is mainly in my feet. I have been woken up by it in my calf a few times and it's agony and the muscle is sore the next day.

Given that we all tend to eat too much salt ( along with sugar!) it's not a good idea to add more salt to the diet.
It's something that can be used for the one-off occasion where someone has cramp due to loss of body fluids through dehydration etc but not as a long term 'cure'.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:52:19 AM by Sarah2 »

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:38 PM »

Cramp may be the first sign of lack of salt but it is also a sign of other things.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2