Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IBS help!  (Read 12937 times)

westie

IBS help!
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

Hello

I have suffered from IBS on and off for a long time now although I go through long phases where everything is ok.

Thing is, I've now had intermittent diarrhoea for about 4/5 weeks now and it is really starting to get me down. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I had 3 lots of antibiotics over Christmas (2 for a chest infection and one for a nasty UTI). Since then my system has gone haywire! Has anyone else had this?

I know IBS is common at our time of life but I was doing so well until recently.

Am booking an appointment with my GP if only to calm my neurotic mind.

Any experiences from you lovely ladies would be very welcome

Thank you

Westie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: IBS help!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

Yes, yes and yes.  Antibitiotics can cause IBS - have you tried a good probiotic drink/tablets to help the good bacteria in your gut?

LIVE yoghurt can help too.  I buy the Greek plain variety with "LIVE" in red print on the tub.  Not 'natural' but 'live'  ;) a table spoonful 3 times a day is good for us anyway and I used it when ever I had a 'thrush' infection (eaten and applied  :-X)

IBS can become problematic as hormone levels alter.  I always had 'the runs' within an hour before a period started even if a bleed wasn't due!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »

CLKD is absolutely right.  Antibiotics play havoc with the digestive system. I dread having to take them as I know I will have the runs afterwards.  DG x

westie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »

Thank you girls for your prompt replies you have made me feel a lot less paranoid!

I will give the 'live' yoghurt a go CKLD thanks for the advice. I was thinking it was to do with the anti bio's as I was perfectly ok before I took them. I find it's all a horrible viscous circle as the IBS makes me more and more anxious which in turn makes my symptoms worse! :(

This forum is fantastic- thank you, really helps to know I'm not alone.

lubylou

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »

From a fellow sufferer you have my sympathy! I can take some and be ok and other make me feel sick and upset tummy but I think it is only amoycillen  (sorry wrong spelling) which is more like penicillin I think.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »

You need to take a really good pro biotic to rebalance the flora in your gut. If you want something natural to stop the runs in the meantime try A Vogel Tormentil drops. They are natural and I find them brilliant. If you Google them then you can read the reviews. They are not cheap but one small bottle lasts for months.

I really would recommend them. They changed the quality of my life as i was so scared of being caught short when away from the house.

Honeyb
x

westie

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »

Thank you honey bun I will order some tonight, with a good 'live' yoghurt which has also been recommended. Hopefully that'll sort me out, I will let you know.

Thanks again for the advice everyone very much appreciated.

W x

Sarah2

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »

Hi Westie

I suggest you look into the FODMAP diet which is the newest way of treating IBS.

You can ask your GP to refer you to an NHS dietician who is trained in this treatment- it has around an 80% success rate.

It was trialled at Guys and St Thomas' Hospitals ( and Kings College) London so it's not 'faddy' - it's real science!

I'd avoid yoghurts and other things because many people with IBS find they are gluten or lactose intolerant. You can take probiotics as supplements instead but you need advice on the best ones.

I know an NHS/private dietician who treats IBS by Skype appts if you wanted her details- she treated my daughter- and it's her speciality.
Not sure if I am allowed to post her website here but if you PM me then I can help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:48:35 AM by Sarah2 »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »

FODMAP stands for what exactly?   :-\

Sarah2

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »

Here we are- link to the site and tells you all about it :)

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medicine/research/divisions/dns/projects/fodmaps/index.aspx

AND here!

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/
You can even buy the App.

It came to the UK after gastroenterologist Dr Peter Irving went to Australia to learn about it and introduced it to his hospital in London.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:03:25 PM by Sarah2 »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »

So many long words glad I'm not doing shorthand  ;D

It isn't clear when the idea arrived in the UK  :-\

Sarah2

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

I am sure the info is on one the sites.

It was around 2009-2010. Dr Irving went to Australia in 2008 and he started UK work on it shortly afterwards.
This is one profile on him..http://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/consultants/dr-peter-miles-irving
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:46:48 PM by Sarah2 »

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

I don't think I could follow this diet successfully. I don't think that removing gluten or  milk products from your diet should be done without having the relevant tests. I know it's difficult to get a GP to test for gluten intolerance but worth asking for I think.
Also adopting a gluten free diet is very expensive.

I think it may work for some but not something I would do.

Honeyb
x

Sarah2

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »

As the info says you need to work alongside a dietician.

You would not have any tests except blood tests for coeliac which is done via a blood test at your GP. My daughter has been through all of this- she is 25  and manages very well to be gluten free on a fairly small salary.

I have been gluten free for many years. It's not expensive because you save by not buying cakes, biscuits and loads of other things! I don't buy the alternatives - except bread- and it's quite easy to bake all sorts with gluten free flour.
Not ALL people on the FODMAP diet are intolerant to gluten and lactose- some can have both and some can have one or the other. You test yourself by following the diet for 8 weeks- then re-assess.

It depends on what motivates people. Some people's IBS is so bad they are housebound or cannot do things like go out much or use public transport. For them, giving up gluten etc is a small step to make life much better.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:54:40 PM by Sarah2 »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »

It seems well studied.  Under supervision one gets the opportunity to find out what really does affect us.  Some tests are non-specific in that although I tested negative for cat fur after we didn't have pets, my sniffles improved.  I know it was cat reaction because when I did start baby-sitting for cats that the symptoms began again.
Pages: [1] 2