Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help Hair Loss after Femseven Sequi..what HRT now??  (Read 5293 times)

lexiLou

Help Hair Loss after Femseven Sequi..what HRT now??
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »

Hello,

I am new to the site and hope to get some advice.  I had my ovaries removed April 2013 when I was 42 due to high ovarian cancer risk. Started Femseven Sequi patches in October because I was becoming an emotional wreck, crying, shouting at the kids and just cracking up!!! I thought all was ok on the HRT, felt calmer and in control again until I noticed my hair was thinning.  I have always had long thick hair and this was very distressing.  I have been to my GP and as expected she wasn't convinced it was the HRT. But I have done lots of research and believe it's the progesterone in the HRT patch which is Levonorgestrel  which is also in the Mirena Coil. I stopped the patches after Xmas.

My problem is now I am off the HRT all the emotional symptoms are returning and I feel so down and empty. Can anyone suggest an alternative HRT combi with a progesterone that doesn't cause hair loss.

I am desperate xx
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:25:40 AM by lexiLou »

Dancinggirl

Re: Help Hair Loss after Femseven Sequi..what HRT now??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »

Hi lexiou
You could be a good candidate for the HRt combo of Oestrogel or patch plus Utrogestan.
I believe it is unusual to have hair loss issues with HRT, you are more likely to have hair loss without HRT.  Yes, Progesterone can be an issue regarding PMT type symptoms but not necessarily hair loss.  Has your GP looked into possible thyroid problems as hairloss can be a symptom of this. Keep us posted  DG x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »

I agree with Dancing Girls post the Utrogestan is a way kinder progesterone... I have also had hair loss of late, not sure why though, I usually get it around March, change of seasons, but its a tad early for that, I think though that it is a good idea to rule out thyroid as well... try not to stress, that also makes it worse. If you lift your hairline you will see new hairgrowth and this always consoles me, have a phobia about going bald :)
xx

lexiLou

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl & Cassie,

Thanks for replying.  I have had a blood test to check Thyroid and Iron levels and they are normal.  I am convinced it was the progesterone part of the HRT, if you google it there are lots of post from ladies who have suffered hair loss since starting taking Levonorgestrel.  I am getting a referral to a menopause clinic in London to try to sort out an alternative as I feel emotionally dead  :(

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »

Both the Utrogestan and Oestrogel are bio identical hrt and more "user friendly" and I am sure that will help to prevent the hair loss, all the best, keep us updated... chin up... x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »

Have a look at the Ovacome web-site, a UK Charity aimed at ladies with ovarian cancer.  That's how I landed here via an ad in their magazine.