Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scan Results  (Read 8382 times)

cherylks

Scan Results
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »

Hi have just had scan and been told I have a few small polyps and some thickened lining.  She said the thickened lining had an unusual or abnormal looking surface and is referring me to a gynaecologist.  She said it could just be cos of bleeding.  Does this sound normal?  Is unusual/abnormal the wording used for excess lining that just needs to be shed?  Dont want to worry unnecessarily.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Scan Results
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »

This needs to be investigated.  When do you see a Gynaecologist?  I think words can often cause un-necessary worry because there aren't any other ways of describing what is seen on the scan.  This way you are getting a 2nd opinion!

cherylks

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »

I have to make an appointment to see my doc in a week who will then make referral but she did mention she may refer me direct to gynae but to see doc anyway.

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »

Cherylks - The main thing is you are going to see a gynaecologist who will know what to do.
I had a peculiar looking scan (quite a few years ago) and was very spooked by what was said. However,  when I saw the gynaecologist she was lovely and set my mind at ease very quickly. Hope things get sorted for you soon. Please try not to worry.

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »

You need to find out if the person who did the scan has referred you and to whom, and how long you will need to wait for an appt.

But at the same time see your GP.

I always think it's a bit unfair if the person who does the scan gives you reason to worry by saying something, but not being expert enough to put your mind at rest or say what will happen next!

Sorry you are going through this.

The odds are that the gynae will want to do a biopsy which can be done as an outpatient, usually quite easily and without too much pain.

Follow it up because sometimes notes etc get lost in the system.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »

When I had a scan last summer I also had a thickened lining and also they could see an abnormaility on the uterus surface so I was also referred to gynae for further investigation - and had a hysteroscopy and biopsy which was very straightforward (only took a few mins).

In my case I think the thickened lining was due to the point in my cycle ( as I am on cyclical HRT) - but they still wanted to check, They weren't sure what the abnormality was but the biopsy was clear and they decided the abnormality was a small fibroid, and nothing to worry about and no change to HRT.

The scans cannot show excatly what the problem is and that's why I imagine you will also be given a hysteroscopy and biopsy - this is standard on the NHS and much better to investigate as in most cases it will be nothing serious at all - and if it is, better to catch it early.

Are you post-meno/on cyclical HRT?

It is always a worry but try not to and concentrate on doing things to take your mind off it!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »

Again one half doesn't seem to know what the other ought to be doing  ::) - the person doing the scan should have been definite in whether the appt would go from that dept or if the patient needs to go back to the GP  >:(

cherylks

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »

I am not post meno, I am peri and not taking any hrt,pill or anything else.  I know being peri means less likelihood of anything sinister but can't help wondering after the comment made.  Just hope gynae appointment comes quickly to put my mind at rest!

Sarah2

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »

Isn't the 'rule' that women are sent for a scan within 2 weeks of seeing their dr- and presumably the same timescale (approx) will apply to further investigations?

Try not to worry.  Easier said than done I know.

cherylks

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »

Now im really freaking out!  I was going to wait til tomorrow to ring doc for appointment to be sure they had received results from hosp.  However have just had a phone call from the surgery to say they have scan results and doc would like to see me this afternoon.  Am actually going first thing tom morning instead but freaking out at how fast its all happening.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »

Would you be freaking out if you had to wait?  Your health is being tracked in the way patients ought to be  ;).  Make a list of your worries to chat with your GP.  Let us know how you get on!

Patientone

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »

So sorry you have this worry, it's horrible, I swear it can make you feel like you're losing your mind.

I just went through this at the end of November, had bleeding/spotting for 7 weeks. But my dr did everything all at once, pap, endo biopsy, bloodwork, ultrasound. Seems they need all those things together to make a diagnosis, if you leave one out? It causes this kind of thing.

I do not believe the scan can tell them anything for sure, other then further testing is needed.

My thought is that you're on your way to an endometrial biopsy. (just the word freaked me out). My dr did it on the first visit, right after my pap.  I was also kind of scared because she said .. "I can do it right now". Ugh !

So if your dr says that, just do it, get it over with. My experience was not bad, my dr had the nurse come in to hold me hand if I needed it, but really, it was little discomfort and over pretty quick. I did bleed a lot from it, and it was for a week.

In the end, I have fibroids. All the while, I was positive it was much much worse then that.

Chin up !

Sarah2

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »

Just to add- I was offered a biopsy there and then by my gynae and I chickened out -  it was then done 2 weeks later when I had a friend to meet me afterwards and give me a cuppa at hers!

I was though fine and with hindsight would say have it done on the day- though suspect this is not going to be offered- it seems to be a USA thing, not UK! (I saw my dr at a private practice.)

I had no bleeding and no pain afterwards- so please don't worry.

toffeecushion

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »

Good luck with this morning.

Just wanted to add that I had my scan on the NHS and my doctor phoned me less than 2 days later with the results.  They phoned me on a Friday and I missed the call so had to wait until Monday to speak to her.  I worried myself sick, but turns out I have a polyp.  She referred me to see a consultant and I have an appointment for next week.  I must admit I am a little worried at the speed of the appointment, worried that they must think it is something bad or I would be waiting for weeks. I guess I will find out next week.

Let us know how you get on.

cherylks

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »

Saw doc this morning.  He showed me report that says along with polyps there is abnormal structure on surface of thickened lining or something like that...  I asked what that meant and doc said "usually the uterus lining is smooth.... but in my case it isn't.  The chance of it being uterine cancer is extremely unlikely".  I have been referred to gynae with appointment in two weeks time.  Having blood taken next week to check for anaemia.  Certainly feel a lot happier actually having talked to doc.  Now to go and get some sleep I think...!
Pages: [1] 2