Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling hot hot hot  (Read 3679 times)

claude66

Feeling hot hot hot
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »

Hello everyone.

I'm 48 and have recently started having the most horrendous hot flushes, my skin is also horrible - not so much my face (yet) but nasty, very sore, zits on my chest and back. It's really upsetting because my very clear skin was always one of my best features and i'm dreading the summer when i can't cover up so much.

I am still having periods and they are mostly ok. The odd very heavy one but not too bad.

So I'm thinking HRT but my terror is weight gain. I have struggled with my weight for a long time and these past two years have really conquered it and I'm enjoying being slim.

Any thoughts gratefully received

Taz2

Re: Feeling hot hot hot
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »

Hi Claude - welcome to the forum.

Have you had a check up about your skin? Sore skin is not really a menopausal symptom and it is easy to blame everything on menopause. It could be that there is something else going on which you can have treatment for.

You will find lots of help and friendship on here.

Taz x

claude66

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »

Hello Taz, thanks for welcome

I am pretty sure the spots are 'hormonal' and it's all related - hot flushes, sore boobs, dizziness. Nothing else it can be really. I'm otherwise healthy and not on any meds

Joy!

Suzyq

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »

Hi claude66 and welcome

I put on weight in the months before I started hrt. Now that I am on hrt, my weight has stabilized - haven't lost the extra 10 pounds, but at least have stopped piling it on, so I wouldn't assume you will gain with hrt.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »

Hi & welcome.

Think weight gain more to do with being of a certain age, rather than HRT.  I've certainly not had skin problems. As Taz says, maybe something else going on too. Dry, itchy skin yes, but not spots. Could it PCOS? Not sure if that can happen later in life or not.

Suzyq

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »

I think I read somewhere that the drop in estrogen, relative to testosterone can cause skin problems. I could be wrong cause sometimes it all gets jumbled up

claude66

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »

spots are a common symptom of peri menopause I think - certainly read a lot about it.

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »

I am per 47 and I get spots now and greasy hair havnt had it since a teenager

claude66

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »

Yes, that's what I've got Maryjane. Last time I had skin like this I was about 14.

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »

Puberty take 2. Maybe I've still got that to come. My skin suffers with the winter & dries up. Sure don't fancy greasy spots again.  :sick02: