Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: MS plus menopause = misery  (Read 3524 times)

minkusmum

MS plus menopause = misery
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

Hi. I'm 56 and have been post menopausal for about three years without too many problems. However, for the past year my MS has been a real problem, mainly due to severe problems with walking. I know this is not a relapse and have been wondering what is going on, but I have realised that it is probably all down to my hormone levels plummeting, leading to severe weakness and instability. I've started on HRT, have seen some improvement and have just decided to increase the frequency with which I change the patches. This is my decision, not taken with reference to a doctor, and I wondered if anyone else can relate to my experience. I live in Switzerland by the way, where the healthcare system is very different, as are the drugs.

Hurdity

Re: MS plus menopause = misery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »

Hi minkusmum

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your ms and it affecting also how you feel post-meno.

May I ask what patches you are using and what dose? It's usually best to increase the dsoe rather than change them more often since the frequency is designed to give the best possible serum estradiol levels for a given patch dose. Changing too often can lead to a slightly reduced level due to the time taken to reach the maximum after a new patch is put on.

Some women have mentioned they do feel better changing them more often and if they tend to come unstuck around the edges, the linger they are on then you wouldn't be getting quite the dose intended by that patch anyway! I think this is more of a problem for the once a week patches rather than the twice weekly ones.

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:14 PM »

Hi Minkusmum

Welcome from me too.

I have MS too, and have found HRT has helped my ms symptoms a lot.

For a long while I didn't want to use HRT but the ms was getting much worse. I was aware of some work regarding oestrogen having a beneficial effect on ms, so thought may as well try HRT. It has been so helpful, especially with the fatigue but also with legs and balance suddenly going.

I can't comment on increasing the dose as I stick to the same dose, I am using Evorel Conti patches twice a week

mamakaren

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »

Hi Minkusmum,

Just wanted to say  :welcomemm: . I don't have much to add, as I don't have MS> You will find lots of suppor on this forum! It's a great place!

Good luck! Hope your symptoms improve!  :bighug:

Karen

minkusmum

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »

Hi minkusmum

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your ms and it affecting also how you feel post-meno.
Hi Hurdity

May I ask what patches you are using and what dose? It's usually best to increase the dsoe rather than change them more often since the frequency is designed to give the best possible serum estradiol levels for a given patch dose. Changing too often can lead to a slightly reduced level due to the time taken to reach the maximum after a new patch is put on.

Some women have mentioned they do feel better changing them more often and if they tend to come unstuck around the edges, the linger they are on then you wouldn't be getting quite the dose intended by that patch anyway! I think this is more of a problem for the once a week patches rather than the twice weekly ones.

Hurdity x

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Estalis, which comes in two strengths. I'm supposed to put a patch one on twice a week and have only been on the for a month. However, I have already noticed a difference the day after I put a new one on, which then diminishes by the following day. I know that there's also a stronger patch available, but because i'm doing this as an experiment, I want to see if a stronger dose would have more effect, especially since i'm going back to se my neuro in April and he has so far been very dismissive about the whole idea of a link between menopause and MS symptoms. I'd like to be able to tell him I've seen a real difference, which he hopefully will be able to see as well :) I'm playing it all by ear at the moment, but will probably go back to my gynaecologist in the summer to talk to her about what has happened.

Thanks to everyone else for their welcome too. :-*