Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Low or ultra low dose HRT what is the difference?  (Read 5353 times)

lubylou

Low or ultra low dose HRT what is the difference?
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »

Hi
This may sound like a stupid question. I have been looking at the HRT preparations on this great site. I am confused (it doesn't take much) but if Premique Low Dose has 0.3 mg Estradiol and Femsiton conti Ultra low dose has 0.5 mg Estradiol, why is the Femiston an ultra low dose and Premique only a a low dose? Is it because of the type of estrogen?

I take the Premique low dose but would like to take the lowest possible dose (I am trying to reduce). My Gynaecologist prescribed me Premique low dose (0.3 mg) and I am wondering whether to ask for the ultra low dose.

Can someone explain why Premique is Low and Fenistion is Ultra low? I am thinking that I be changing to the ultra low.

Thanks in advance of your help!
Lubylou

Hurdity

Re: Low or ultra low dose HRT what is the difference?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »

Hi - not a stupid question at all lubylou and you have answered it yourself!

Yes it is because of the type of oestrogen. The Prem type HRT contain conjugated equine oestrogens (made from horse urine) - which is a mixture of different oestrogens, whereas all the others contain estradiol - which is bio-identical to the hormone in our body.

So the Femoston ultra-low dose will be lower in oestrogen than the one you are on - although it will take the body a while to adjust to the different type of oestrogen.

They also contain different synthetic progestogens so it might be wise to change first to the low dose Femoston Conti until you acclimatise and then gradually reduce the dose. However you might just want to get on with it if you are determined to reduce!!

Hurdity x

lubylou

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »

Hurdity
Thanks so much for your reply. I subsequent found a paper written by Mr Paney (I think that is the spelling) all about low dose HRT which explained a bit about low HRT and different types,

I will ponder on your suggestions.

Thank you
Lubylou

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »

Panay - yes he's an expert - has done a lot of research and is a very recent Chairman of the British Menopause Society
www.thebms.org.uk/about.php

Good luck anyway!

Hurdity x