Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sugar - good or bad?  (Read 9114 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Sugar - good or bad?
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »

Depends upon who is funding the Research  ;)

Apparently people were the healthiest they have ever been in the UK during WWII.  Because of rationing, working outdoors, less cars so more walking/cycling.  Rationing didn't stop until 1952.  Since then we have been bombarded with sweets.  Sugars. Ready made foods.

One needs to decide which sugars are 'natural', i.e. in fruits/veg. and which are added in cakes, sweets, cereals.  We eat as much fresh fruit and veg as possible though I soon get bored  ::) ........ I love my chocolate occasonally but found in the early 2000s that it made my body sluggish.  So managed to cut down significantly.

I tend to buy black chocolate and we have 2 pieces for 'pudding' in the evenings.  If it's in the house.  Today I bought lots of fresh fruit as we aren't fancying much ..........  :-\

bramble

Re: Sugar - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:09:46 PM »

I have given up chocolate for February. Not sure how that is going to go. I am missing it already!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »

When I felt that chocolate was making my body sluggish: this was when the weather was too hot for me to walk the 10 mins to the village shop so I didn't eat any: I didn't find it too hard.  It's egg custards, creme brûlée and chocolate mousse-type treats that I fancy more of …….
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:22:33 PM by CLKD »

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:20:11 PM »

If only everything that tasted yummy wasn't bad for you  ::)   I read recently that it's foods with the combination of sugar AND fat that are irresistible to us.

Since Xmas I've been trying to cut down on sugary carbs but it makes for quite a joyless diet in my opinion. I've had no chocolate whereas I used to have some every day. I've only lost 3 lbs in spite of this and have had terrible headaches too (possibly not connected to reducing sugar though)

I remember the desserts we had at home when I was young were usually pudding of some sort with custard, or fruit cocktail and evaporated milk. We had lots of meat with pastry and suet puddings too. What we didn't have were ready meals, crisps, cakes and chocolate bars.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »

So no hidden sugars then.  Most of our grub was home cooked from scratch.  I saw the programme recently about fat/sugar combination, twin Doctors did 'trials' to see how they both fared.

Headaches due to less of food that the body is used to is common.  Also some of those sugary foods have caffeine in too.

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »

Ah yes - that's where I read about sugar/fat combination too :)

Ariadne xx

mamakaren

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »

I've found that for me sugar doesn't effect me to much. Though I do still try to avoid it as much as possible (with the exception of a bit of chocolate every day)  ;D . I find that when I have anything with artificial sweeteners in it, I get sluggish. No diet products for me.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »

I can always taste artificial sweeteners and they can be dangerous with some anti-depressant medications!

Now having my black cuppa with 2 sugars  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »

I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. I do like a cream egg and a mini choc lollie. That's about it. I don't eat puds except for very occasionally. A box of chocs lasts a long while.
I don't have sugar in tea or on cereals and I don't eat biscuits either. I watch my weight though because being short being overweight is not a good look for me.

Hubby does not eat anything sweet so I just don't buy much.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

I also like something with a 'bite' to it.  Chocolate has a 'bite' as did the Naan bread from under a hot grill this evening  :-* ……..

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »

My tastes have changed over the years, been forced really due to lactose intolerance. But I keep added sugar to a minimum.  I do love a pud though! Always have.  But where I could devour a huge pudding years ago, I have cut back heaps. If out for a meal puds are mainly off the menu for me so end up with fruit salads most of the time.

scriv

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »

I think it's all a case of moderation - a bit of everything in moderation is fine and keeping sugar and fat to a minimum with the occasional treats is my philosophy. But I don't touch artificial sweeteners.

My extra pounds are just about beginning to go after Christmas when I am now eating less - and less cheese for one thing, which although I love it proves very hard to shift. All much harder as we get older :(

Also, am moving more! I had got very lazy with walks in this awful weather.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:44:04 AM by scriv »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »

I haven't exercised much in the last 14 months  :-\ either too wet or too hot.