Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Money less society  (Read 19557 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Money less society
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

Again on AT - one man was stating that we should be totally money-less though one of his first statements was 'how often do you go to the cashpoint machine to draw out money' so AT jumped on that statement!  I like having real money in my purse, counting out when buying although large amounts of shopping are bought on debit/credit card.  How would we pay for car parking?  My Mum has a mobile phone but no idea how to access anything other than phoning someone she would never contemplate - nor would I - using the mobile for parking etc.. 

How many of you carry no small change at all?

honeybun

Re: Money less society
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »

Not only do I usually have a purse full of it I save some of it in a piggy bank. When the bank is full I take it to a coin sorter and then get "proper money ".

My kids are totally different. They think nothing of using a card for the smallest things. I would be embarrassed to use a card for something costing a pound.

Maybe it's an age thing.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »

I wouldn't want to pay the fees on a card for a quid! or is there no charge on cards for such small amounts these days?

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »

My OH NEVER carries cash, he uses a card for any spending he does.
If he needs to purchase something small, I hand cash over to him, bit like pocket money.   ::)
Needless to say my purse is unfashionably full of the stuff. Mostly small change, I hasten to add.

When we were living in New Zealand, electronic money transfers - EFTPOS  - were used a great deal, including for small purchases. They seemed to be very popular, didn't seem to incur extra charges.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:35:37 PM by Limpy »

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »

Credit card in a drawer. Debit card used to take out cash. I do pay for stuff on debit card, but only within limits of bank account.

However, in USA much easier to pay by card. We have a separate credit card for when we go on holiday, so long as it's paid IN FULL on return, no charges.

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

Always keep £10 in my purse, but pay everything else by credit card and debit card  and standing orders, both OH and I pay our credit cards off in full each month.

We bank online so its easy.

OH saves all his spare change and then takes it to the bank, I bought him a machine that separates the silver and coppers last Christmas.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »

Some smaller shops charge 10p if you use a debit card. The bigger stores don't charge anything and neither does the bank.

I have never had a credit card in my life. Hubby had one when he travelled abroad for work but the company paid for it.

I was brought up to save for things so it's always been a case of if I don't have the money then I don't get it until I do. I have saved for all sorts from conservatories, new kitchens and bathrooms.
The only loans I have ever had were the house and the occasional car.

It's a very old fashioned way but it suits us. I think debt scares me and always has and I don't really know why.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »

DH has the credit card which we pay off monthly.  We both have debit cards but as we shop together I rarely use mine.  He turns out his clinker from the pockets which I put into my purse, I have a dread of not having small change …. I would never pay by card in our village shop for sweeties, there is a charge anyway.  Bigger stores put the charge onto their items before they get to the shop floor  ;) ………. it will be factored in somewhere.

How does anyone these days pay cards without a small cost?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:13:46 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »

I use my debit card to pay for most things - but have a tenner in my purse or jeans pockets just in case.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »

How does anyone these days pay cards without small cast?

If you settle credit card bills in full there shouldn't be a charge, well not interest anyway    :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »

we settle our credit card monthly - they probably hate us  ;D - but for small amounts won't there be a charge either debit/credit?

Scampi

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:06 PM »

Many more retailers (especially the larger ones) are getting geared up for contactless payment for smaller amounts.  I think it will catch on and spread to the small shops too, especially as I think banks will charge shops more to process cash deposits than they charge for the cashless payment machines.  Whether we like it or not, cash is on the decline.  Once upon a time, people didn't like the idea of paper money, but 'we' (I don't mean us personally, obviously!!) got used to it!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »

However cheques were supposedly to be taken out of the money market but some businesses, Clubs, Charities cannot operate without them!  We couldn't 'run' our competitions without cheques.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »

My new card arrived this morning, apparently 'contact less'  :-\ - nothing in the accompanying letter explained that I can opt out and continue using the 'pin' number.  So any amount can be taken out with a 'contact less' card from an Account which will only be stopped once the card is reported missing, apparently 'they' will refund any fraudulent amounts.  So that's secure then  >:(  :-\ - not!

As I am really good at putting things down: reading glasses, handbag, purse, cards, slippers, cups of tea : it could be 2 weeks B4 I realise a card has been stolen.

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »

I was under the impression that there is a maximum spend on contactless, £20 or£30 I think.  More than that you have to enter the pin number manually.

I still don't like it though and always use my PIN number.
Pages: [1] 2