Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are you still working?  (Read 11769 times)

Sarah2

Are you still working?
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »

Just a query really as nearly all my peers from school have retired now. Many of us were in teaching, though I changed careers in my 50s and now have 2 p/t jobs taking up about 3 days a week.

I am self employed and it's partly creative so spend a lot of time chasing commissions as well as doing the actual work when I get some!

I'm coming up to 59 soon and feel a bit unusual still to be working from choice! But to be honest I think I'd be bored not doing anything and all my family live too far away to see on a daily or even weekly basis.

How about everyone else?

Sarah
x
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:13:49 AM by Sarah2 »

Dancinggirl

Re: Are you still working?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »

Hi Sarah2
I think it is very important to keep working and learning - I have to work till I'm 66 and I like to think I'd still be working a bit well into my 70s. Our finances have meant that, up until very recently, I've had to do as much work as possible - a part time PAYE job as well as running a small business from home plus having to support elderly relatives & it's been a tough time.
Recently I managed to change what I do within the company I work for and now have a far more flexible and rewarding role which has allowed me to have more 'me' time. Many of my friends in their 50-60s are taking a small step back from full time work and I think it is, if possible, a good idea. So much depends on whether you enjoy your job.
I am personally terrified of getting dementia so keeping the brain active, I think, is very important.  DG x

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »

I agree. All the work I do is very 'brain demanding'!

Sorry to hear that you have been under a lot of pressure.

I think both me and my husband are deciding where to go next with work- he can retire at 62 with permission ( private company) which is in 3 years. He may work part time for them afterwards.

One factor for me  is my parents' health- they are late 80s but live 4-5 hrs away and I have gradually reduced my face-to-face commitments to 1-2 days a week but my work also includes a lot of research.

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »

I am a self employed (from home ) wedding florist. I have 60 weddings booked this year, and when I am feeling anxious I find it hard mentally, as I am always worrying the flowers will die or something silly.

I have a lot of bride "zillas" ;D

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

Sarah2, I know exactly what you mean!
I'm a music teacher (through equal measures of necessity and choice!) and have 25 pupils.  Like you, I find it at the same time demanding but really fulfilling.  I think if you're in something creative or arts-y, you can keep it going for as long as you're able;  my own personal involvement in music is my lifeblood, creatively speaking and I wouldn't be without it.  We're lucky, I think, and in my experience, it even takes my mind off the meno!!   :)

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »

I do prefer working for myself, for sure.
Self employed means there is no guarantee of income and it's good and bad- but I really like being my own boss.

I earn less overall - but that's my choice- and am lucky that my husband has a good salary ( though we are not super rich by any means), but i think I'd stagnate if I didn't do anything.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

I never really went back to work properly after my kids came along. When they were both in school I did a variety of part time stuff but nothing permanent.

I gave up my last two jobs about four years ago. One was in an estate agents and the other was self employed which I really enjoyed.
Now I don't know where I would find the time as I am heavily commited with my increasingly frail mother.
I am exploring the possibility of returning to my self employed job as money is tight.
There is not much in the way of work around here. Small rural areas don't have a big choice. It would be shop work, care homes or cleaning none of which I want to do. That's all that's ever on offer and they mainly go to younger ones as they can pay them less. Companies don't want 50 something's.

Honeyb
x

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »

I'm working part time 6 hours a day and have done since my son was born 24 years ago. I always expected I would go back to full time when he started secondary school but when it came to it, I didnt want to. 

Because of changes to pension ages, I now have to work up till 65years and 11 months rather than retiring this year as I had expected. I always thought I would want to carry on working as I'd be bored at home but lately I've thought I might actually enjoy being at home. I would only miss my workmates, not the job.

Ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »

I went back to work when youngest was 3. We needed the extra cash so we could move to a bigger house. Worked in supermarket for about 4 years before training as nursery nurse. This I did for 14 years. It became quite exhausting & by that time we had our first granddaughter & I wanted to help out with childcare. Think she was more tiring than my job.

At my age, I don't think I will ever go back to work. I'm tired enough as it is and as HB says nobody wants a 50 something. Only thing available would be voluntary work. Much as I admire those who do volunteer, it would cost me fortune in bus fares to get into town. Hubby cutting back his hours later this year, so there will be a good bit less income.

Sarah2

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

I do think you might be surprised at how some companies are more flexible now about older employees especially with the retirement age increasing and I suspect it will hit 70 before too long.

I notice that many of my local shops and offices anyway are full of staff who are clearly in their 50s and 60s.
I have heard that companies prefer the loyalty and good time keeping of older staff.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »

I've done a lot of retail work & it can be very tough if you have to stand for hours. Dgx

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »

My anxiety holds me back from a lot of things and to be honest if I was an employer I would not employ me. My confidence is just not there.

Honeyb
x

mamakaren

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »

I work in an office doing financing! Some days very challenging due to my meno-memory problems and impatience with people in general.   :'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »

Honeybun - anxiety and lack of confidence is a killer.  I love working as a team but I can be soooo oversensitive. Over the last 3 years of working in a shop I often had to retreat to the store room for a cry. Many of us have elderly relations to care for and grown up children that need a lot of pastural care - these are full time jobs. DG x

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »

Yes I still work but only for four and a half days a week. I'm 60 next week and have to work until 65 and 3 months before I can claim state pension. There is no way I can afford to give up before then. I am struggling since coming off HRT with joint aches, fuzzy brain, hot sweats, palpitations, depression, irritability, sleeplessness... It was my inability to do my  job properly which drove me to HRT six years ago and after five months off HRT I am now just about in the same place as I was then. For me it has been a great help so hopefully will be allowed to start it again soon!

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2