Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Has anyone switched from patches to tablets?  (Read 12169 times)

anna123

Has anyone switched from patches to tablets?
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »

Hello
I'm 39 and been on Evorel Sequi patches for 3 months. I felt much better at first-better sleep,reduced mood swings ,no flushes,reduced headaches etc but as the weeks have gone on I'm feeling my symptoms returning. Plus towards the second half of the month I feel angry and irritable. I've also had problmes with the patches sticking and sometimes my skin looks quite red and inflamed, I've read that if there is skin irritation the hormones might not be absorbed properly.

I've seen an HRT consultant who was surprised at the type I was on. She has moved me onto Femoston /10 tablets as says these are better for side effects as less testosterone derived and said tablets will give a constant supply of oestrogen.

I just wondered if anyone else has moved from patches to tablets and could share their experiences.Thank you :)   

Mrs January

Re: Has anyone switched from patches to tablets?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

Hey Anna 123

I moved from Evorel 50mgs to ellesse 2mg and doing well. I was allergic to the patches and thy made a terrible mess of my thighs Lol...

Good luck

Mrs J 

anna123

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »

Thanks Mrs  J, that's good to know

I've been moved from Evorel 50 patches to Femoston 1/10 tablets. I  can't work out if it's the same oestrogen level or less

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »

Not at all sure that you don't get more peaks and troughs with pills. They have to go through the digestive system unlike the patches. Patches deliver a steady and constant supply throughout the day and night.

Most women find the patch very successful and it is considered to be safer than the pill. You could consider gel, also very popular.
I am surprised you had sticking problems unless it was a faulty batch. Evorel is famous for its sticking abilities.

Honeyb
x

anna123

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:19:44 AM »

Thanks for the replies Ladies :)

I think I might have had a faulty batch honeybun,The problem is after 2 days of sticking a patch on my symptoms were returning so I putting the next patch on early and going through them too quickly. They do irritate my skin too and  I'd read there may be absorption problems is irritation occurs though I don't know if that's true or not.

I'll give the tablets 3 months and see if there is any progress. If I can lose the irritability and anger I had started to feel on the Evorel  I will be happy :) 

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »

Hi

As honeybun says patches particuarly as a mode of delivery will give you a more constant supply of estrogen directly into your  blood stream.

However you will have been given Femoston because the progestogen in it -dydrogesterone - although synthetic - is the closest to our own progesterone and therefore better tolerated. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be produced in transdermal form - probably because it is unstable like progesterone.

The progestogen in Evorel sequi - norethisterone - is androgenic and causes bad side effects in some women. I didn't get on with it at all.

You could have continued with transdermal HRT and used an oestrogen gel (as hb suggested) with separate micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) which will be your next option if the tablets don't suit you.

Hurdity x

mamakaren

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

Hi Anna,

I haven't tried the patch you are on. I'm currently starting the estradiol 75 patch after being on the 50 for the months decided I need more! I have had no problems with it sticking or skin irritation. But I guess that must be an individual thing!

I decided on the patch over the pill because at our age(I'm 39) we are probably going to be on HRT long term. I was told that the pill taken over a long term might have damaging effects to the liver? Not sure if this is true or not? Maybe one of the other ladies on the forum can help with that.

Good luck

Karen

Sarah2

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »

Pills won't damage your liver. If you have any problems with your liver already then pills are not the best option as they pass directly through it via the digestive system.

Pills do have to be taken at a higher dose than transdermal types because a lot is lost through digestion and they are linked to more incidents of clots. The general advice is transdermal is safer.

Anjia

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

I have just been prescribed ellesste solo 2mg after being on 1mg for a year I need it, this is pill form I also take a tablet for high blood pressure if patches are safer why do doctors provide you with tablets Is it because of cost.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

I would say there is little doubt that the cost is a huge factor.

I was at the nurse last week for my blood pressure check for my HRT. They do this every three months. The nurse was telling me that they are now prescribing patches routinely as they are safer. I was never offered pills at any point.

Honeyb
x

Anjia

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »

I am doing fine on tablets I don't fancy sticking patches on I think its up to the individual people take tablets for so many different things, anyway there are side affects to all tablets.

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »

It's a personal choice and the main thing is symptom control. As long as you are happy with your choice then that's great.
There are side effects with all medication, some worse than other's.
I have digestive issues and that was my reason for using patches. It is however recognised that a transdermal delivery is considered to be the safer option.

Honeyb
x

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »

the consultant at the meno clinic I go to has a co-authored, published paper in the waiting room, stating that patches are considered a bit safer than pills for longer term use. His view is that if you want to continue HRT longer term, switch to patches.
I'm currently having problems with the glue in the Evorel 75 patches. It's like superglue!
Has started to irritate the skin. I'm wondering if it's the batch, as the 50 patches were just as sticky but never irritated my skin at all. I used to take the pills. Can't say I've noticed too much difference in side effects from one to the other.