Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: feels like constant low grade UTI  (Read 10272 times)

ancient runner

Re: feels like constant low grade UTI
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »

Hello Oldsheep
The estring is a silicon ring which is impregnated with oestrogen and releases this constantly at a very low dose. You put it in your vagina as high as it'll go and forget about it for three months, whereupon you need a new one as it will have exhausted the active ingredient. It's a flexible ring which (if I remember rightly -- only seen mine once!) would fit snugly if I brought my thumb and forefinger together in a ring.
It releases 7.5 micrograms daily which is a higher dose than the twice weekly vagifem.
advantages are that it's a low constant dose, so no fluctuations, no other ingredients to irritate, and (if remembering to use vagifem is a problem for you) no need to remember which night to insert your hormone dose.
There is proper scientific info about this somewhere in all the gubbins on the right, and Dancinggirl has just started a thread on it.

oldsheep

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »

Thank you! I tried to access this thread on my phone to ask the consultant at meno clinic but I couldn't.
Anyhow they tested and nurse said no infection but they'll send to the lab anyway. The consultant said try more frequent vagifem - even every other night is ok with him, as I'm on utrogestan nightly. I'm going to try 3x a week to start.
He's on-referring me to the gynae urinary clinic but that'll be 6 months. Next meno clinic appointment (barring dramas) in one year. In my area of London, we are now only allowed one routine follow up a year.
My bp was up again, well the top figure anyhow. I'm taking more exercise so hopefully just a blip.
They are so nice at Kings though.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »

re: "I tried to access this thread on my phone ... but I couldn't."

You should be able to access the forum on a cellphone.
If you have problems, go right to the bottom of the forum page and there's a link for WAP2. That should display ok on a phone.

Emma

Limpy

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »

Emma - Thanks for the link.
I had been having problems trying to get MM on phone.

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »

oldsheep - did you say you take Utrogestan orally?

I take mine vaginally but it always causes problems with my bladder when I am on it (12 days every 6-7 weeks). I always have to get up in the night and go more often during the day, and feel as though I need to when there isn't much there or if I've just been.

I've put it down to the progesterone doing its job in changing the uterus lining and somehow it (the uterus) pressing on the bladder (presumably a slight prolapse due to age and lots of children). Mine is a feeling of constant pressure as if my bladder is full.

In my case it also could be some of the progesterone getting into the bladder and irritating it (I've no idea if this is rubbish or not!) but not sure if this would happen if you are taking it orally? Also it would be odd for it suddenly to happen if you are post-meno - unless it is due to another stage in meno?

Hopefully the vagifem will help you!

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »

thanks Emma and thanks Hurdity!

Yes, I take Utrogestan 100 - one per night. Daily as it's supposed to help with sleep (?!).

A bigger problem has come to light. I have skin irritation from the 75 Evorel patch. I didn't have it with the 50. Maybe they use different adhesive....
Anyhow the consultant said I'd have to stop using the patch if it continues but I don't want to. The gel just didn't work for me - I had flushes etc back as it wasn't being absorbed.
The patch has been the best so far, touch wood.

He seemed to imply that the problem with using creams before applying the patch was simply that it wouldn't stick well enough.  I've never seen anything so sticky; it's hard to get off! I'm wondering if I should apply a thin layer of my calming cream before putting on the patch (could always see if it sticks or not?)
It's this one, got it in France and it's so helpful with other irritated 'bits'. doesn't cost anything like this in France!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saforelle-Cream-200ml/dp/B002WZK2ZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390928238&sr=8-3&keywords=saforelle

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »

Here it is ;-)
Pages: 1 [2]