Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Serenity cream  (Read 17997 times)

Sarah2

Re: Serenity cream
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 10:03:51 AM »

I don't think there is any animosity. But if someone asks 'is it worth buying this product' then everyone has an opinion, sometimes based on scientific research.

This is one piece of research which is worth looking at and yam is at the end of the list of treatments tried.

http://ebm.bmj.com/content/8/4/118.full.pdf

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »

Agree HB there are many who compare HRT to Insulin but it is not the same, people like your OH would die without it, a woman can live without HRT if she chooses.

Just another sound bite

It was Dr Ray Peat a scientist who studied progesterone and used it at first as a face cream, ( there are  expensive face creams famous names that have minute doses of natural progesterone in them)

If you read his articles and papers they are very thought provoking.

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 10:17:43 AM »

We are not talking about yam creams, very different, the progesterone   that is used in natural progesterone creams and gels ( I have bought progesterone gel over the counter in France)  is synthesised in the lab, from diosgenin which estrogen is sourced from too

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/15/wild-yam-why-its-not-recommended-for-progesterone-but-does-provide-eight-other-health-benefits.htm

I think there are two different discussions going on in this thread one is that lots of different things can work for some women, the other is that natural progesterone cream is not Wild Yam cream,but a herbal cream with extracts of Wild Yam leaf or root added.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:28:08 AM by silverlady »

Sarah2

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »

I thought Serenity was made from wild yams.

Rowan

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »

Serenity contains USP micronized progesterone

Natural progesterone is synthesized in the laboratory from either soybeans or the Mexican wild yam (Dioscorea villosa). The process was discovered in the 1930s by Pennsylvania State University professor Russell Marker, who transformed diosgenin from wild yams into natural progesterone. Natural progesterone refers to bioidentical hormone products that have a molecular structure identical to the hormones our bodies manufacture naturally. The most effective form of bioidentical progesterone is called micronized progesterone USP. The process of micronization allows for steady and even absorption of the medication. Micronized progesterone is available only through a doctor's prescription. An alternative is natural progesterone creams sold over the counter worldwide. Both the micronized progesterone and commercially available progesterone creams contain bioidentical progesterone.

Serenity ingredients

Serenity Natural Progesterone Cream is manufactured in the United States of America by the original manufacturer to the original formula under the highest standards of Good Manufacturing Practice. Serenity does not contain cheap low-grade Chinese progesterone as used by many manufacturers. Purity and potency guaranteed by analysis. Advanced skin care delivery. For topical external use.

Contents: Deionised Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Vegetable Oil, Glycerin, USA Produced USP Natural Progesterone (2.34%) USA, Isopropyl Myristate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium PCA, d-alpha Tocopherol, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, GermabenII, AMP95. (Merest trace of commonly-used preservatives added due to the ineffectiveness of natural preservatives).

Serenity is formulated with the most advanced delivery system for maximum absorption (97-100% assimilated).
 The process involves No Animal Testing, No Animal Cruelty and No Animal by-products.
 A 60-gram jar normally lasts up to twelve weeks, depending on the severity of symptoms and beginning progesterone levels.

Each sealed jar of Serenity Natural Progesterone Cream contains 2.1ozs (60gm/60ml) of the finest quality liposome moisturising cream with not less than 1,260 mgs of USP Pharmaceutical grade bio-identical Natural Progesterone extracted in the USA from plant saponins. The Certified-Potency Natural Progesterone content (2.34%) has been carefully calculated so those who suffer with the symptoms resulting from unopposed oestrogen can utilise the cream on a schedule which parallels their own body's natural cycles of progesterone production.

Wild Yams are synthesied in the lab to make USP progesterone powder  which is used for bio identical hormone products over the counter ( not in Britain, you won't find it in Holland&Barrett) or on prescription etc, pills gels creams Like Crinone

Hope this help to understand the difference between Wild Yam Cream and hormone creams.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:54:43 AM by silverlady »

Sarah2

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »

Is what you have quoted from their own website?

The info you wrote says it is made from soya OR  wild yams. You said it was not made from wild yams. Sorry- I'm confused :)

No one should be using the equivalent of progesterone that is prescribed and made by a pharmaceutical company, without a doctor's guidance.
There is also the more basic question of whether 'oestrogen dominance' exists.

I'd be more inclined to have faith in such products if they were available through the NHS or recommended by gynaecologists.

But- everyone can make their own choices. This is my view.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:14:14 AM by Sarah2 »

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 11:12:46 AM »

I give up  ::)

Bio identical hormones can be sourced  and synthesised  in the lab from both Soy or wild yam leaf , but they are looking for other ways now.

These are not my own views but can looked up and researched by anyone.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:21:45 AM by silverlady »

Sarah2

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »

Give up?

Can you explain more simply and concisely rather than pasting what appears to be an advert.

I for one don't know what 'USP' is- can you explain the abbreviation please?

Are you saying that the ingredients in Serenity are the same as in prescription bio identiical progesterone that is prescribed- Utrogestan?
If they are, then why would anyone take these without medical supervision?

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:27:52 AM by silverlady »

Sarah2

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

Lee's views are quite controversial and not endorsed by some experts- so it's up to everyone to do their own research and make their own choices.

I would not take any over the counter hormone treatment - if it works it should be prescription-only, if it doesn't work according to independent scientific trials ( eg the NOS one) then it's a scam/placebo.

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

Glad we got that settled then :)

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »

Regarding the issue of placebo

I quite agree that if a placebo has the same effect as a tried and tested substance whatever that is - then that's fantastic! The mind is a powerful thing and the first step in any treatment for anything is to have a positive outlook and to believe it will work. A placebo of course can only work to some extent and with some conditions - as HB says, it won't make diabetes go away

However - the placebo effect should not be used to justify a commercial company exploiting women by trying to sell all sorts of (expensive) compounds when they either haven't been tested or if they have, the trials are flawed or inadequate. That is what I object to - when women are at their most vulnerable. Many of these come from America due to different health-care system, where even the FDA has had to intervene with dubious claims - notably including Serenity Cream!

Hurdity  x

Rowan

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »

progesterone.co.uk is a UK company, which has 7,190 "likes" they all can't be poor taken in vulnerable women, sounds to me they are women who have made up their  own minds.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:14:18 PM by silverlady »
Pages: 1 [2]