Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: When to have my blood test?  (Read 2206 times)

Jackiew4

When to have my blood test?
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »

Hi,
Luckily on my 3rd attempt (and getting to see my regular lady doctor) she agreed to me having blood test to check if I am starting the menopause. I was also worried about my periods as my last one was over 6 months ago. Before that they were always extremely heavy and frequent. I am 44.

She advised me to stop taking anything i.e Mini pill & HRT (which I had stopped as it was making me feel ill). And to wait 5-6 weeks for everything to be out of my system before having the blood tests done.

Low & behold, I have started bleeding today! I'm 90 percent positive she said if I do start bleeding to have my blood tests done straight away.

Can anyone clarify this, as my Doctor only works Tuesday & Thursdays, which would mean I am three days into my period if I wait and talk to her. We have our blood tests done at the hospital, so I just need to go there and wait my turn and I have time to do this Monday.
   Any reply very much appreciated, thanks Jackie

Taz2

Re: When to have my blood test?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »

If it's to test for follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) then this should be carried out on day three of your cycle i.e. the third day of bleeding. This is what I was told anyway and seems to be the case on the fertility sites where FSH is obviously important.

I do have to say though that this test can be quite unreliable and most docs go by symptoms rather than the blood test result.

Taz x

Jackiew4

Re: When to have my blood test?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »

Thanks Taz for your reply.

Will definitely go Monday.

On reading on here and other sites, I understand that the FSH is not 100 percent reliable.
I just want to know what my level is at the moment, plus the blood test is for checking my liver, iron etc. plus Ovarian cancer, as I was worried my symptoms were very similar. I just wanted my doctor to check everything, as I have felt worse, dizzy, sick, bloated, sharp pains etc since Christmas.

Jackie x