Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone taking sertraline  (Read 13411 times)

Scampi

Anyone taking sertraline
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »

Hello ladies - I'm after some help. My doctor has prescribed sertraline (50mg) for me for anxiety and mild depression. I'm emetophobic (terrified of throwing up) and nausea and vomiting are listed as common or very common side effects! Anyone know how best to take these little devils to minimise to risk? My GP says that any nausea tends to wear off in 4 to 6 weeks!!!! Not sure about the wisdom of taking something for anxiety that will make me anxious just by taking them!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone taking sertraline
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »

Yep, I understand completely!  Perhaps do a 'search' for the drug?  I think some ladies have taken it without problems.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »

Does your GP know that your have a vomiting phobia? Sertraline can make you feel very sick in the beginning but not everyone gets this as a side effect. A friend of mine had an anti-sickness pill prescribed at the same time and this worked really well.

You may also find it better to get a lower dose prescribed and gradually work up to the 50mg dose.

Let us know how you get on

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »

I told the doc about my emetophobia when she told me the number one side effect is nausea - she just said it wears off, and the biggest problem with the drug 'not working' is people stopping taking it after a week or two because they feel sick all the time and have had no positive results!  I've read the patient information leaflet, and read quite a few articles on-line about it, and nothing I've read is making me want to take this stuff!!

I'm not seriously depressed (just a bit down on myself) - it's the anxiety that's affecting me most. I know sertraline treats anxiety too, but the list of side-effects is horrific! I'm not at all convinced that I feel bad enough to risk taking this stuff.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »

That was my problem with the AD I was prescribed. It made me feel so unwell and I was very sick. It was a different one from you though and everyone is different.
Have to admit I gave in very quickly and went onto St John's Wort. I know it can interfere with HRT but I decided to give it a go anyway. It has helped quite a bit so I will not be going back down that road again.

Honeyb
x

Mrs January

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »

Hey

What about trying something like Kalms ...before the AD's ?? just a thought xx

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »

You are all lovely x.

I think I'm going to look into St John' wort before I try anything else.  I have an appointment for blood tests (to rule out hypothyroidism, amongst other things) and a follow up with the GP in 2 weeks. I won't be taking the sort railing before then, that's for sure.

Thank you again x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »

However: your GP may lose patience if she prescribes something  ::) but I know WELL your fears …….. Co-codamol has me on the bathroom floor after 3 tablets  :-\ ………. and I worried a lot about any medication prescribed <sigh>.  Some ADs made me feel really queasy and there was no way I could continue so of course, I didn't benefit.   :-\ eventually we hit on one that didn't have the side-effect <phew>.  Could you ring your GP and ask for an anti-emetic?  I had this before I underwent GA - had a long discussion with the Anaesthetis who gave me several AE jabs throughout the surgical procedure.

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »

She might CLKD, but surely my treatment should be something I make informed decisions about?  Before the doc gave me this stuff I'd never heard of it, so there is no way I would have looked into it - reading the patient information leaflet (which we should all read before taking anything), I'm not happy taking this drug.  For me, the possible benefits don't outweigh the possible side-effects - I can't see the point of taking something for anxiety that will make me anxious just be taking it!  And that's leaving aside all the other potential side-effects (even the list of 'very common' side-effects is long and nasty).

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »

I am reluctant to take medication in case it causes nausea: or worse <sigh> for the same reasons as yourself  :'( … … it's OK for GPs to say 'it wears off in 4/6 weeks' but they have NO idea how much emetophobia rules our lives.   :-\  How does your anxiety affect your daily routine?  I was worse first thing in the morning and by T-time, a different person as all my commitments were done and I could then relax.  I dealt with some of those anxieties by making a list each evening of what I had to do and a list of chores for the next day so that I could, at least, tick off 'stuff' and I was on automatic pilot until well into the afternoons ………

Has your GP suggested Valium on an 'as necessary' basis? 

Scampi

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »

I can bumble along quite well most of the time (although I know I'm not as 'happy' as I used to be), but it's almost like I'm running on 'full' - if something else is added in to the mix (like the situation at work, argument with daughter yesterday, etc), I get very anxious, shaky and tearful.

I'm looking at various options before I head down the anti-depressant route (tbh, I wasn't expecting the doctor to suggest I might benefit from them, so I wasn't fore-armed to push back and say not at this stage).  As I cope from day to day, I'm looking at something like Kalms to help me over the 'humps'.  I'm trying to lose some weight (Weight Watchers - I've had success with them before) and eat more healthily, and I'm making an effort to get out of the office at lunchtime every day (unless it's really foul weather!!) and get some fresh air and daylight.  If I could just get the negative voice in my head to shut up, I'd be doing fine!

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »

Your anxiety sounds really mild, maybe just triggered by events that make it more difficult to cope.

I took St John's Wort years ago. It was suggested by my GP as my anxiety was mild and hormone related. It really did help me cope with every thing life was throwing at me at the time. I won't bore anyone with the details but at the time life was challenging.
I am now back on St John's Wort and although not quite as effective as before it does mean the difference between coping or not.
If you decide to give it a try then get the purest one you can because it does make a difference. It can take two to three weeks to feel a difference.

Honeyb
x

myra

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »

I took sertraline a few years ago, was terrified to start with, but it was a godsend to me  :)  i was very lucky that I had very few side effects, a dry mouth, slight headache.  It only took a week to kick in and it was like a weight lifted from my shoulders.  If you have any side effects then just go with the flow and they will pass when the medication gets into your system.  Don't be afraid  :tulips:

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »

It's only my opinion but why would a GP prescribe an AD when it's not supposed to be the first option.
Surely if the anxiety is mild then other avenues should be explored. CBT for one. The move is supposed to be away from AD's.

They are a life saver for some but they are prescribed a bit too readily when there are other options available. I wonder how many women who present with meno symptoms are offered AD's instead if HRT.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »

Honeybun - lots probably!  Because ladies present with depression symptoms and maybe don't tell their GPs what the problem really is. 
Pages: [1] 2