Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 3865 times)

Badga

Mirena coil
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »

Hi folks

Now some 8 months down the line on HRT for postmenopausal symptoms.  Have been on Evorel Conti most of the time.  Estradot was a much better patch in terms of sticking and estrogen absorption, but the opposed oral prog (Utrogestan) made me 'blow up' (boobs and legs).  I do not get enough estrogen from the Conti (serum level 115), mainly due to it coming unstuck during vigorous, sweaty, heavy exercise, and am always having breakthrough bleeding.  Soooo.....

My consultant has suggested I go back on the Estradot and have a Mirena coil fitted.  I know that with the Mirena the progesterone is delivered locally, so theoretically I should not get the 'blow up doll' symptoms.  However, I would like to hear from anyone on the forum who has had a Mirena and might have experienced systemic symptoms with it.  I think that I am one of those individuals who is highly sensitive to progesterone and am not happy about the fact of it being stuck inside me, if I am symptomatic.  At least with patches and pills I can opt not to take them without the hassle of making appointments to get stuff removed.

btw - I am postmenopausal, so he consultant says that I should not bleed with the Mirena.  I would also be interested in hearing about this too.

Looking forward to the responses
Badga  :)

CACEY

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »

Hi Badga

I have had the mirena since August, it is great, I had spotting for a couple of months and nothing after that. I have had no problems with weight gain or sore boobs ( wish I did mine have shrunk!!)
I am currently using sandrena gel, have tried estradot but didn't seem to suit. So once I get my oestrogen levels up, current level is 40 :(( I was on the depo jab for years and I think the progesterone in the mirena is similar.
Also I am 50 not sure if I am still in peri, although I do feel my hormones are still breaking through. Hope this helps.

Love Cacey x

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »

Just out of interest how much Utrogestan were you taking and for how many days because my dose is being altered and I don't want to 'blow up'.

Badga

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »

Thanks Cacey xx

Sarah, I was on oral Utrogestan 100mg daily (continuous).  Horrid stuff, for me at least.  Did help me sleep though!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »

I had my Mirena coil removed a couple of months ago as it was at the end of it's life.  I had it for 4 and a half years and used Oestrogel for the oestrogen part.  I think the Mirena was a good option for me with the fewest side effects over all but I do think i got bouts of fatigue that in hindsight may have been from the Mirena and occasionally i got some stomach cramps but not badly. Have you thought of using Oestrogel ? If you are having absorption problems this could be better for you - you can adjust the dosage to your needs as well. DG x

Badga

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »

Hi DG

I have had bouts of fatigue, both before going on my current HRT regimen and whilst on it - awful.  My consultant hasn't mentioned gels to me, so I am assuming it is not one of her prefered prescriptions, but I will ask her about it next time I go. ;)
xxx