Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Palpitations (racing or fluttering?)  (Read 5092 times)

Shazzie

Palpitations (racing or fluttering?)
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »

Hiya

When people say they are having palpitations do they mean fluttering or racing.

I had the fluttering heart a few years ago when the menopause started and now I am near the end I am getting hot flushes that end with a racing heart for about 15mins

Just wondered how many others are suffering with them.

Shazzie xx   

Cassie

Re: Palpitations (racing or fluttering?)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »

I have mostly the fluttering heart, with extra beats, sometimes, it feels like I have an electrode in my chest, my mom has also had it all her life. Other times I wake up with a racing heart, usually when my oestrogen is low and other times, my heart puts in extra beats, does it a lot when I am quiet in bed @ night, but not sure if this is menopause as I have had it since my 20's Dr diagnosed it as benign pvc's (ectopic beats). Not very nice though, I know :(

mamakaren

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »

I have it as well. For me , it just beats really fast and sometimes feels like it skips a beat!

Karen

JJ

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »

Mine fluctuates, beginning of peri it was more fast heartbeat episodes, now I'm getting closer to post menopause I get the fluttery ectopic type which for some reason seems to happen mostly of an evening, don't know why  :-\

jgr

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

I have also had the ectopic beats and racing heart. All started with menopause. It is not very nice but been told by cardiologist they are harmless and hear is fine. X

Shazzie

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »

Thanks so much for your replies jgr, JJ, Karen and Cassie.

I really appreciate it.  My GP said it was nothing to worry about but always good to talk with other going through the same thing. 

I wonder why they seem to happen more while we are resting.  Strange!!

Take care and thanks again.

Shazzie xx

rosekay

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »

I've had awful ectopic beats for years, first noticed when I was pregnant with my 1st child, who is now 30.  They come and go, no idea why.  No particular trigger.  Really unpleasant, can't say how many times I've been to the doctors about it.  Now I have an implanted monitor to activate when I'm bothered by them.  It's ventricular and supra ventricular ectopics with me, harmless but unbelievably scary when they happen in a row.  I often find them worse when in bed, but get them in the day too.  I take bisoprolol but don't know if it helps much.  So many people have them, it helps a bit to know we are not alone with it!  (But it's still horrible!)

Shazzie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »

Thanks for your reply Rosekay.  It really helps to know others are getting the same symptoms.  They are really frightening. 

Hope you get some sort of help with yours.

Shazzie xx

tired lady

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »

Hi Shazzie, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with palpitations they are just so awful.  I have been suffering from missed beats and an occassional racing heart at night for 3 years now  which started when I turned 39.  I had a 24 hr ECG which was normal and my doctor thinks my palps are caused by perimeno.  I had no idea that you got palpitations with periomeno so I thought I had a heart problem!  Thank goodness for this forum and it is so reassuring to find other ladies who are going through the same things as you.  I hope you feel better soon xx

Shazzie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 12:59:51 PM »

Thanks for your reply Tired Lady.  I have put a couple of replies on your thread,  Sounds like we are both suffering with these horrible palpitations.

GP has now put me on half a HRT patch a week (Femseven Conti) and since I have started them I haven't had any palpitations.  Fingers crossed this will continue.

I read on your thread that you don't really want to start HRT but it really is helping me.

Good luck sweets and I hope yours settles soon.

Shazzie xx